I Forge Iron

Almost like a new anvil....

The new stump looks nice and heavy. I do have one suggestion though that you move the anvil closer to the side of the stump. I find that I end up leaning over badly by the end of the day to reach the anvil when its not close enough to me. I really enjoy some of the steel three legged stands because i can just have the ends of my toes directly under the anvil and I often keep my thigh right up against the back square horn.

A un-moveable anvil is a lovely thing. I spent a year or so with a anvil on a wobbly light stand. After using the same anvil on a vary heavy stand it was like night and day. I realized a great deal of my energy was wasted with the wobble and jump. If its practical where you forge having a long stump sunk into the dirt a foot or two is great, or having the stand bolted to the floor. Then again I have a striker with a 9 lb sledge often and she can make many a anvil and stand walk around.

A un-moveable anvil is a lovely thing. I spent a year or so with a anvil on a wobbly light stand. After using the same anvil on a vary heavy stand it was like night and day. I realized a great deal of my energy was wasted with the wobble and jump. If its practical where you forge having a long stump sunk into the dirt a foot or two is great, or having the stand bolted to the floor. Then again I have a striker with a 9 lb sledge often and she can make many a anvil and stand walk around.

Agree 100%. I fooled with that other stump for a while now, and while it is nice and level, the rocking made some things like using the horn a pain. I'm planning on forging tomorrow and seeing how the stump fairs. I may end up cutting some off the forge side to get the anvil closer to the edge, but I want to make sure first as getting that monster up to my forge was a pain and I don't want to mess it up.