I Forge Iron

Gunsmithing-Herschel House-locks

I am interested in flintlock lock making and have made a few from parts I forged. It is hard to find informatiion on the subject so any reference is appreciated. I saw a blacksmithing tape for sale at Pieh Tools which features Herschel House. At the end of the tape, he apparently talks about tuning locks. The tape is over $30 bucks and is a beginners course so I am only interested in the lock discussion. Has anyone seen this video and could they comment on the lock tuning part of the video?

One of the volumes of the Journal of Armsmaking technology is devoted entirely to lock making.I obtained a copy which was how I learned to build my first lock. I was looking for another perspective and additional insight.I have found little else on the subject.
I can readily forge any of the parts. Except for the tumbler and plate, I think I could forge all of the parts in one morning from wrought iron wagon tire stock and high carbon from hay rake tines.
I forge braze the pan and bolster to sheet steel and I can do this and the parts in about 1/2 day or a little more. It is getting the fit right and filing to final dimensions that takes time. I am looking for tips on finish and assembly.
The tumbler is time consuming to forge and grind, and so easy to make on a lathe. I take the easy way out and use the lathe.The plate, pan, and bolster were traditionally forged or brazed and I braze them in the forge so that is traditional.
I hope to get the rest of the rifle built. I have welded up a rough barrel and started working on making the boring drill.

• 2 weeks later...

Ferrous,
This is exactly what I have been looking for over the last year or so. I did not see it listed on the Dixie Gun Works site tonight so I sent a note asking about it. I really hope they have it. If you have a copy and want to sell it, please let me know.
Thanks!

Chichi I highly recommend that you join the National Muzzle loading Rifle Association, NMLRA.

http://www.nmlra.org/index.asp

Check out their online store, cruise Amazon, EPay, etc. etc. Once you begin to discover the titles of these little known books you can begin to hunt them down. Be prepared to open your wallet and dig deep for the better tomes. Probably the best on the subject is a series titled "The Journal Of Historical Arms making Technology". There were several installments in the series and I'm not sure but I think they are all out of print now but I could be wrong about that.

http://www.nmlra.org/store.asp

Dixie offers several excellent books on making long rifles but Newton's book on locks is the only one I am aware of in their offerings which deals specifically with forging locks. For some reason there seems to be quite a lack of coverage on the subject of lock making. As I stated, "The Journal Of Historical Arms Making Technology" is the best source out there.

This is specialized stuff so you have to go looking for it to find what you seek but don't get discouraged because it -is- out there, you just have to connect with the right people. Join the NMLRA and you will receive their monthly magazine, "Muzzleblasts". Attend your local chapter meetings, go to the shoots and rendezvous and you will be in with the in crowd and at long last begin to unlock those secrets. Good luck.

Ferrous,
This is exactly what I have been looking for over the last year or so. I did not see it listed on the Dixie Gun Works site tonight so I sent a note asking about it. I really hope they have it. If you have a copy and want to sell it, please let me know.
Thanks!

Send for their catalog, there is an awful lot more in the catalog than what is listed on their website. It costs about $5 and is almost as big as a Chicago phone book. You may think they have a lot listed on the website but that is nothing compared to what is in the catalog. Along with everything else there are literally hundreds and hundreds of books.

Ferrous,
I joined NMLRA a year ago for this reason. To date , all replies to my questions have not been very helpful. Dixie sent me a note saying they dont have the book. I have the Journal of Armsmaking technology that was devoted to locks. I have made several locks based on that article but I am looking for additional perspectives in some key areas.Your reply is by far the most responsive I have received to date so thank you very much! I will try e-bay now that I know the title of the book you recommend. Maybe Pryor Mt. is still around and I will find him.