I Forge Iron

Ironworker stats

Larry H

I have been looking at ironworkers as well I checked out a number of machines at the big machinery show in Toronto last month. The Piranha seems to be one of the pricier machines and the dies seem to change fairly easily.one The one thing one of the salesmen from one of the other dealers mentioned was how their punching was a straight line punch as opposed to some that punch on an arc. He claimed that was important for punching square holes to prevent punch breakage. I noticed the Piranha punches on an arc. Does anyone know if this is actually important or just salesmanship?

I have a 40 ton scotchman with a punch and shear seems like a good machine got it used had it for less than a year. Very simple easy to use for the most part scotchman has very good customer service also. I also have a 20 to rogers press shear. I mostly use it to punch channel and shear small flat bar stock for scrolls. Its fast something like 58 cuts a min.

I have occasionally used a 65 ton Scotchman for the last five years or so. They are solid machines, with good customer support and lots of options available. Still made in the US, last time I checked.

Punch arc only becomes a problem with thicker metal, you will never notice it under a quarter inch. Above that, you may experience more sticking and die clearance problems. Lube is your friend when punching.

I bought my Metal Muncher because of the large table under the punch. With 100 tons I can bend 4" square bar cold. The way the shear operates is less than desired with no foot control or auto return, although this can be modified with some clever linkage.

Here is link to a 35 ton which is a bit different than the larger ones.

http://youtu.be/g1BfPydlP7Y

Let us refine this discussion beyond brand names, I am deciding upon present use and planned expansion of work , on the Piranha 75 ton , because the teacher at the high school welding told me a 50 ton would be insufficient , He also told me how it was destroyed by the students in a very short time, and replaced by a 100 ton Piranha. I do not have an unlimited equipment budget like schools do, and want to buy an ironworker one time only.

I have a 55ton sold by Cleveland Tool also made by Edwards. This machine has served me very well for 5 years. I bought it brand new for $5600.00 and it came with a set of punches 1/4" thru 11/8". I too, purchased it because of budget. I have worked alot with Pirahnas and think they are a very good machine. I have a friend here, who has the 35 ton metal muncher ( who hardly uses it) in the video posted and have to admit, If I had to buy another this would be the one I would buy, but would like the 65 ton model.