I Forge Iron

What did you make this weekend?

Title says it, what did you make this weekend?

I made a slot punch, a bob punch, an eye punch, narrow fuller, and a drift. I was inspired by Jason@MacTalis Ironworks and one-heat horse heads. However I did not make any horse heads today because it got dark and I cleaned up.

I also cut up another brake drum to make my brake drum much deeper. I will be making this modification permanent because it works so well. I just stacked the drums together, but I will strap them to the bottom of the table and clay them together so I don't get unremovable clinker (I did today, rather fun, really, taking apart a hot forge to clean the clinker out)

I should have taken a picture of the fire rake Jason and I made a couple weeks ago, but I forgot.

Apologies for the lousy camera phone pictures.

Phil

post-9443-0-14360500-1319329254_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-03318800-1319329275_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-64957000-1319329292_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-08501800-1319329308_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-34279500-1319329330_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-45585200-1319329352_thumb.jp

post-9443-0-78618000-1319329385_thumb.jp

Saturday I volunteered as a blacksmith demonstrator at Curran Homestead (a living history museum). I mostly talked with a lot of curious folks and did manage to make a few drive hooks. It was a good time and they fed me (although I'd rather eat at Wesley Chambers house; meatballs and chile relleno, yum).
Sunday I worked in my own shop and worked on my repousse skills; designed and produced a couple bookmarks with a nice maple leaf at the top.

My son and I with my limited hammer time made a letter opener. He said it's his first cool thing so he's keeping it. I think it's ok but know it will get better with more tries. I wire wheeled it and used a grinder to round the blade side a little. Started with about 5 inches of 1/2 inch mild steel rod.

Saturday I demonstrated at the local farmers market and made a copper ring, a copper calla lilly, several bottle openers, a key finder key ring with a leaf on it that hangs over a pocket or purse so you do not have to search for keys, and a key finder with a flower on it. Sunday afternoon I went to the Craftsmens Guild and made some small copper calla lillies, a feather key finder, another copper ring with a leaf on it, and a steak turner with a bottle opener on the end of it. Had a fun relaxed weekend overall and looking forward to going to Shreveport with Brian and Karen next weekend.

Got to try out the new coal forge and blower. Haven't worked with coal in a while, nice not having to shovel so much charcoal all afternoon. Tried a couple of dragon flys for a windchime I'm working on, don't quite have the sequence of steps down. Heat treated a couple of tools I modified. A small chisel reshaped to a curve for cutting dragon ears/horns and a punch reshaped to round.

Made a bottle opener out of 1/4 by 3/4 stock.

Well Saturday I took the trash to the transfer station and picked up some steel for free there and then wandered over to the scrap yard next door and bought some steel I could use.

When I got home I had a student from the local college waiting for me---he wanted to make a set of wedding rings. I convinced him that copper was not appropriate even if he was broke and I would spot him the silver to do them in sterling.

So I cleaned out a tub of stuff I had bought from a silversmith at the fleamarket---kept the sheet, High and Low silver solder, bezel material, etc and dumped all the cut out's mis-heated pieces (I think he must have been learning as there were a number of pieces that had slumped instead of soldered, dumped it all into a stainless steel creamer and squashed it down with my screwpress.

Added a sifting of borax/boric acid flux to it and melted it in my coal forge. mean while he had cleaned up a small piece of pipe and imprinted it into a chile can of petrobond sand. I made him pour the blank, then saw out two undersized rings. Made him clean them up and then took a long thin tapered round stake that I had polished and put a strip of electrical tape around it to mark where a known good ring of his fiancee fit and had him forge the blank out to fit annealing as necessary.

I could have worked with him to pour a ring nearly to size but I wanted him to have the work in it and the pride in it to be able to supply his own wedding rings. I was married in a sterling silver ring and still wear one as I'm rough on rings---never lost one (I'm on my fourth), but I wear through them.

Sunday after church I disassembled a couple of bed frames to make uprights for some shelves I had and wanted to put up in the shop extension, also did some clean up and planning for my wattle in.

Looks like I had over an oz of scrap sterling in that tub, besides the 4 sq inches of Hige and another 4 sq inches of Low solder and the 18 and 22 gauge silver sheet and ... Not a bad deal for $15 at the fleamarket!

Well, spoke too soon in my earlier post. Sunday morning I got up before the kiddos and me wife, and fired up the coal forge. I was able to make a second leaf key fob, so the twins wouldn't fight over the one already done (why three year old crumb-monkies would want a leaf key fob is beyond me). I was then able to move on to drawing out the reigns on my first set of tongs, and also made a couple of hooks for hanging my fire rake, and poker off of the forge hearth. Later that afternoon, I worked on another hook for the forge hearth, and a drive hook, for the wall, to hang my coal shovel on. It was a good day! ;)

I took the family to....Las Vegas and took in a Jimmy Buffett concert! Much celebrating and people watching, but the forge was cold all weekend.

Gotta raise the kids the right way. Singing Margaritaville and a Pirate Looks at Forty word for word. It was a proud day for me!