I Forge Iron

Oxy/propane success... and one more question

Well, I finally got everything pulled together and now have an operational oxy/propane rig.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and information. You guys know what you're talking about.

I did a few test cuts on some scrap and was amazed at the performance, particularly with a fuel tank intended for a barbeque grill.

A #1 tip would zip through a 1/2" bush hog blade like butter. I definitely need to work on my ability to cut straight, but it will cut nonetheless.

Now another question:

When you need localized heat, say a rivet head or to tweak a scroll or to isolate for an upset, do you ever just use your cutting torch or do you always switch to a rose-bud?

I also have a welding end for the torch, and I know I won't be welding with propane, but would this work better for localized heat?

Thanks again,

Don

If you use the cutting tip for heating, do not touch the oxygen lever! I have done brazing with a cutting head with no problem at all, that was the torch I had available at the time. The job got done.

Choosing an appropriate sized torch head to do the heating you need will do the job quicker and with less fuel than using a mismatched size. Torch heads are expensive, so using what you have and getting different sizes as you can, and find you need, is probably the best answer.

Phil

OK, Don. Now that you did all the research work for me :ph34r: Would you mind sharing how you got it all set up? I was checking on O/A bottles, the other day, and walked away talking to myself. I can't really justify the price for what I do. I don't need a torch very often. But when you need one, you need one now. Thanks in advance for any guidance that you can give. :)

If you are using a cutting torch that goes on the regular torch then when you use it to heat with make sure to open the cutting torch valve all the way and use the main torch body valves to control the flame. that way if you accidentally hit the oxy lever you do not get any extra oxygen. That is opposite way of doing the oxy valves when used for cutting. Also you can do is turn down the regulator, which may be a better way to protect yourself from accidental cutting. If you have a cutting only torch this is the only way.
Rob

Ok, stay off the O2 pedal when heating... got it. (now watch me forget that at a time when it matters most!) Thanks for the goof-proof tip Rob.

George,

I bit the bullet and bought a #3 oxygen bottle from our local Farmer's Co-op. It cost me about $250, but that's for the Gas Pony / tank swap deal. When I run empty, I just swap for a full one and pay for the gas.

I bought myself a grill sized propane tank at Lowes. It was about $45, tank and gas. Same deal (Blue Rhino)... swap for a refill.

Now, if I was going to use this a lot, I would have probably gone a different route. I don't anticipate using the torch a great deal. But the big-time gas dealer is about 45 min. (one way) from home; I can run to the Co-op on my lunch break. I can do a propane swap at the store that's 4 miles from my house. So I've probably paid a little extra, but the convienience is worth it to me.

Other than that, I had to order a couple GPN tips from Airgas, along with a "T" rated hose. Everything else seems to be working like it's supposed to.

Don

Don , that ox bottle you bought , does it have an inspection date stamped into it? what happens to YOUR bottle when that date comes?

He should never pay for a hydro since he gets a new bottle every time his is empty. That is how it is working for me anyway. If he always filled his own tank then hydro is coming. Your right to ask but I would not bring it up to them.
Rob

Shoot I just drop off my propane empties on my way to work and pick them up and pay for them at lunch---pretty convenient. Of course I often will take time to howdy with the folks running the propane place; even give them a hand forged trinket now and then. Being friendly with them is worth it's weight in gold! I don't get nickle'd and dime'd for stuff like soft nose O rings, or having them look at a new tank or fitting for me. As I'm often filling 4 or more tanks the savings add up! (Especially as they have a frequent filler program where I get about 20% off the price!)

I pick up new valve bottles, usually with some propane in them for $15 at the fleamarket---check the inspection dates! When a bottle gets to the end of it's date I'll then swap it and then bring the new one to the propane company for re-fills.