I Forge Iron

Need advise on increasing ram weight of air hammer

Current setup is 2.5" X 10 air cylinder at 90PSI with a ram/die weight of 72#. Current cyclic rate 148 BPM approx. The ram is 1/4 x 4 sq tubing with 1" thick caps on both ends. I've thought about removing the caps and welding an additional 30# to the inside of the sq tube to increase efficiency. But how much will this decrease the cycle rate? I'm thinking the down stroke will be slightly faster but the upstroke would be considerably slower...an assumption based on nothing more than 'gut' feeling. I know this is one of those 'wide open' questions with a lot of variables but I'd appreciate any and all thoughts. THX, Keith

I increased my hammer from 50lb to 100 and increased the cylinder size from 2" to 2 1/2" several years ago. I assumed it would slow it down. It actually sped up and seemed to use a little less air! I don't think you will have the same reaction but I don't think it will slow it down much if at all.

If possible I would try a test run first......If you can add 30 lbs without tearing it apart by welding or bolting the weight on the outside first you'd get a preview of what's gonna happen with the bpm. I suspect it will slow down.....If you're going to try forging with it on there make sure it's SECURE. I need not say why.......