I Forge Iron

New HT forge

Lenaghan

Hi everyone, I havent posted here in a long time, or much at all but when I was starting out and gathering Info this site helped me alot so I was one of those I wanna make a sword first try type, and where I can say I did manage to make something of a short sword it's nothing I'm proud of and only keep it around to remeber how far I've came. One of many things I did learn from that attempt was that controling the heat, and being able to properly HT a large blade has huge problems that come along with it,

3 Years since I started and I've made a couple swords, several shorter swords, some little knives and have a huge pile of failed blades... and with every new blade I see huge improvements, but one thing I was still keeping me away from the longer blades was all the issues with the HeatTreating. So I built this thing...

post-7005-0-02026300-1318542687_thumb.jp

I just finnished the heat treatment of a 26 blade Jian and the thing worked great, and I could go as large as 40 inch

Not sure what else anyone else here is using but I'd like to see what some of the more experianced people are doing

Tom Maringer had a custom built vertical electric heat treat furnace with computerized ramping controls and inert atmosphere.

Of course he liked the high alloy steels that require a fussy heat treat.

I've seen on the net some pretty fancy stuff that would be nice to have, I would have liked one of those salt pots, but something about having a big tube of Lava just sit right with me... and I'm not ready for anything high alloy yet, my 1075 has been good to me!