I Forge Iron

Bronze crosses

dkunkler

I bought a hunk of nickel aluminum bronze at QuadState and forged the 2 bigger crosses a couple weeks ago and made the little one saturday with a scrap from a larger cross. The original piece was about 1" square and I reduced it down to about 5/8" on the rolling mill. I was amazed at how tough this stuff was and how hot it could be worked (orange heat).
post-3810-0-75018300-1318307697_thumb.jp

I got it from Patrick Nowak. I couldn't remember the alloy number, so I emailed him last night with this reply
"The alloy is UNS # C63200. You can also find it listed under Copper Development Authority (CDA) # 630. This alloy forges very well in the range of about 1300-1600 F. forging it colder than that will likely result in cracks. Also, it can be heat treated. If you quench it, unlike copper, it will harden so I would advise air cooling after forging.". If anyone needs some NiAl Bronze, his contact info is in this thread. http://www.iforgeiro...__fromsearch__1

I got a hunk as well and found it very difficult to hand forge as well. I made a Celtic like cross.

It's some interesting stuff to work with and buffs up to a bright shine. Could you post a picture of your cross please?

• 3 months later...