I Forge Iron

O/A to Propane tip cross reference

It would still be a # 1 tip but for propane. With that number it may cross reference with a Victor. Remember, propane burns about 400 deg cooler than acyletene but you should still be able to cut 1 1/2in with it

Propane or acetylene doesn't do the cutting, the oxygen does by reacting with the heated iron very rapidly. Once you have preheat you can turn the fuel off and use just the O2, so long as you do not outrun your heat. (no I don't recommend doing this, but it can be done)

Phil

I am addicted to acetylene, Mapp, and propane just take so long preheating for a cut , I lose patience. Or using a big heating tip to make bends and twists, acetylene is the way to go. Imagine my shock when I had a large tank delivered, and the empty took away, $155.00 from my long time welding gas supplier. This was in August when many localities simply had none available. OH! a little warning, one time I ran out of propane for my whisper daddy gas forge. Being me, I just switched the regulator from the empty propane to a full mapp tank. Screwed it on tight and opened the valve, when that mapp gas hit the hot forge , the explosion and immediate snowfall of kao-wool, got my attention !! Tank OFF!!!!! BAD IDEA!

I like using propane for spot heating. Ya, It may take longer but the heat goes in further and its harder to burn the surface of the area being heated. WAY cheeper too.... As with so much of this stuff, they all have there appropriate application.

Hi Don. It looks like you have a heavy duty Victor setup. The propane tip would be 1-1-GPN. I have a medium duty set, and it would be 1-3-GPN. By the way, although you may be able to run propane through an acetylene tip, it may be hard to light, and the performance would be terrible. You can get generic brand tips for under ten online, like at weldfabulous. Generic tips on ebay are even cheaper, but they may have a tough time fitting. In an emergency (1 cut), you can run an acetylene tip with MAPP gas. MAPP (not propylene) is more similar to acetylene, and it even has that funny black smoke. I tried it out, and it does work. No trouble lighting, a little trouble cutting. I read some book that if you keep doing this, you will pretty quickly waste the cost of the tip in excess fuel gas consumed to start the cuts.

Thanks for the help.

I finally got a response from the Airgas folks, and it looks like I'm good to go with the GPN tip.

I got the "T" rated hoses as well, so I'm about ready to fire it up.

But yeah, spot heat is my #1 concern at this point, though I'm sure I'll do some cutting.

I would eventually like to buy or trade my way into an acetylene rig and learn to torch weld, but that's waaayyy down on the to-do list for now.

Don