I Forge Iron

Galvanised Steel Water Tank As Forge

TomN

Hi All,

i've just been in contact with a foreman who is demolishing a building on the site that I work on.
Apparently they have some old galvanised steel water tanks that are going free.
I've already had a huge chunk of poplar tree off them, to use as an anvil stand.

I was thinking that if I can get one the right size, then I might be able to make a forge out of it!

I'm sure i've heard that heating galvanised steel gives off harmful fumes. Is this true, and if so could I just chuck the whole thing on a fire for ages and burn most of it off?

Thanks,
Tom

This would also be affectionately called "The Forge of Death". Any place that there is even the remotest chance that the galvanized will come in contact with excessive heat there is the chance of it giving off fumes thus ending a brilliant start at a great hobby/career.

By throwing the whole thing on a fire to burn off the galvanized you will subject anyone that breaths the smoke to the same poisoning.

I would say, "NO!" but thats just because I have become kinda attached to my life.

Search out other paths. Say like a 55 forge! Or a brake drum forge.

Mark <><

I would find uses for them that do not involve heating. Large galvanized water tanks that do not leak can be very handy to have, or find someone who is willing to pay for them. Might make a good coal bin or quench tank, or who knows what. A large copper kettle was pictured as a firewood bin, why not use a galvanized tub...if it is attractive looking or can be painted.

Phil

Well there was only one tank that was useful for me and my friend also wants it as a water tank for his small holding, to help his brother water their animals. So i'm leaving it to him!

I recently got a galvanised steel bucket for collecting clinker. Will that cause any problems with fumes?

If you can line the tang so the galvanization doesn't burn off, it can be used for a forge.
The problem (such as it is) comes from the fumes of burning the zinc off.

ron

This is true, a couple inches of "clay" and it would be quite safe as a solid fuel forge.

Phil

If you can line the tang so the galvanization doesn't burn off, it can be used for a forge.
The problem (such as it is) comes from the fumes of burning the zinc off.

ron

Until while pokng around in the firepot you dislodge a piece of broken clay thus exposing the tank. This is not something I would personally try. Kind of like taping a frayed extension cord or lamp wire with electrical tape. It's all well and good till the tape gets brittle with age and we forget it is there. That is where Mr Murphy steps in and laws down the law.