I Forge Iron

coating metal to prevent rust

Taye

Hi, me again. i have a setup that is fairly good for me. i forge outside and store my forge and anvil in a garage. however it has no space for my collection of scrap that looks useable. this leaves my metal on a big rack outside. For the things that are already rusted to the point of no return i dont mind this so much BUT i do have some respectable pieces of metal. My question is this: would coating my metal in some smoke from my coal forge fire prevent rust to any extent?

Hi, me again. i have a setup that is fairly good for me. i forge outside and store my forge and anvil in a garage. however it has no space for my collection of scrap that looks useable. this leaves my metal on a big rack outside. For the things that are already rusted to the point of no return i dont mind this so much BUT i do have some respectable pieces of metal. My question is this: would coating my metal in some smoke from my coal forge fire prevent rust to any extent?

Not noticeably. If you want to prevent rust you could use a paintbrush and brush oil or other water repellant medium over the bars, and try to cover them to keep water off. Condensation can be a problem and accelerate rusting, depends on your location somewhat.

Surface rust will come off when you are forging them, just wire brush vigorously when hot, then forge.