I Forge Iron

Farriers step vice question.

ironartforge

I have a few step vices like the one below. I have never figured out what the adjustable block beneath the caulking swage is. Is it meant to used as a stock stop when the swage block is removed? Anyone have any ideas? I have one from another manufacturer that has it on the opposite side where it makes a great stock stop...

post-6385-0-66052500-1317167495_thumb.jp

Greenriver vise's all had Caulking and Bolt header dies when new. I just got caulking Dies with mine, not even the stop. The guy I got it from told me It never came with the bolt dies because the paint was still in the notches, but I knew better.

The toothed side of the upright is adjustable for bending as well. Making legs from rod that fits through the holes can be duplicated easily. Just heat and drop down to the desired length and bend. Forge down or leave it where it bends as you wish. Yes it works well for heading. I'd be interested in having another one of these vises if you have one to get rid of. Mine is a Green River as well. Yes I have a picture somewhere but the Leprechauns have it for now. Scott and Ian got to see a good use of the vise when they were here.

Will see if this file makes the trip.

post-25-0-70185400-1317274789_thumb.jpg

I don't know much about the step vises, although I shod horses boo coo years ago. I'll take y'alls word that the block is a stop for a bolt rod. I'm still curious about the calking die. I'm pretty sure it is for "sharp shoeing" toe calks for the winter time. I'm assuming that the calk was held in the shoe with it's "nib" * and welded with the hand hammer. However, that would blunt the calk, if it wasn't blunt already. Some sharpening may have been done by clamping in the jaws, and cross-peening the calk on the vise jaw. With another welding heat, the calk would be both welded and sharpened in the appropriate die. Sharp shoeing is no longer done, that I know of. I've also seen old calk welding dies sold with the hardie shank.

*The nib is a little sharp "spur" projecting from one end of the toe calk. It, being at room temp, is driven into the yellow hot shoe to hold the calk in place prior to forge welding or brazing. It the calk had no nib, it was jumped onto the shoe, which is trickier.

The heel calks were also sharpened. I saw one antique mule shoe that had the medial calk sharpened parallel to the horse's line-of-stride, and the lateral calk at 90º to the line-of-stride.

OK got the pics posted on the post above Franks. For hot bending and straightening, this vise is unsurpassed in many instances but will never replace the standard leg vise. Just another tool but an exceptional one. In reality I truthfully think this is a standard smithing vise. We have another pattern ferriers foot vise at the Threshers shop and this time I have zero pics, sorry. Perhaps in the future I can get some taken.

Negative. Gravity and the design of the treadle make the jaw re-open. Actually the thing comes apart in 3 pieces. Treadle comes off by lifting up. The movable arm is the same way, just lift up. The movable arm has an adjustable jaw cap. May be hard to see in my pics but in the original posters pics it is quite visible. That block on the back makes a great place for an ashtray or a cup of coffee when not in use. Thank you ironartforge for starting this thread. I have used the block and removable swages for many bends in the past. The adjustable block is just the thing to get duplication in bent length.

We have another pattern ferriers foot vise at the Threshers shop and this time I have zero pics, sorry. Perhaps in the future I can get some taken.

Thought I might add another style to this thread.

post-6385-0-27313300-1317686875_thumb.jp
(It has a broken base but was closer to the door than the good one, lazy..)

This style makes more sense to me. The movable stock stop is in the center and is used with the jaws of the vise. The swage block is integral and the jaws interchange with different types. post-6385-0-52949400-1317686926_thumb.jpThe way I use these vices, I find that the stock stop in the center is much more useful.

I believe Green and Mankel out of PA sell the adjustable stop block for the Greenfield caulking vise. I dont have contact info for them only see them at SOFA and ABANA.
I asked if they had the removeable jaws but they said there were too many brands and styles to do a run so only the stop block

I spent a fair amount of time in the bicycle industry 35+ years ago. One tool to adjust brakes is called a third hand tool. These foot vises are truly a definition of that tool. A " third hand". They work exceptionally well for twisting and tweaking and straightening. The jaws can be marked with chalk or a casting mark on the jaws on the jaws can be used for repetitive bends. One heck of a fine tool. Yes the dies are handy but for me, the jaws get used much more and YES I would like to find another one. :)