I Forge Iron

1st attempt at making tongs

Rangerdave

I actually like the hex and size so I left it. I should have drawn it out as my bro in law has a air hammer. Would have made process a lot easier than by hand. And it will be quite some time before I have the $ or knowledge to need an air hammer. But it works so I will work on the looks when I do my next pair.

RD

My first pair of tongs broke after a few days of use...easy bar to step over. I have a couple pair of tongs that I made and use. It does get easier.

If you want a wide grip you can always make it oval in cross section (on future tongs), but there is a point when you need to use medium carbon steel if you make the reins light and springy. I would not rework these until you have made other pairs, or they have a specific problem.

Phil

Congratulations on your successful venture into toolsmithing! They won't win any beauty contests, but then again either would any of the sets of tongs I've made. If they're functional (and they certainly look functional) use then until they break or you make a better pair. There's something profoundly satisfying with bootstrapping your own tooling!

Great first shot Dave. if they hold metal securely, they work. My very first pair was modeled after Glen's Son's blueprint. simple, straight forward and (in my case) BUGLY. but they hold very solidly and always have. I still use them for certain applications

keep it up

I don't see anything wrong with those Dave, not a thing. Purty is for decorative stuff, not things you're poking into the fire over and over, robust is far more important. Darned things sure look better than my first pair.

Did I understand you correctly, that you made these from hex stock? If so it's almost undoubtedly high carbon and is going to need you to be careful using them. Do NOT quench them if they reach red heat, quench them often so they don't each red. Being tool steel quenching from red or hotter can make them brittle and tongs take a lot of stress around the rivet. The rivet and rivet hole have a LOT of leverage working against them, you're hand on the long reign and another 1 1/2" - 2" on the bit end, that make a compound lever. Meaning the last thing you want is brittleness anywhere near the pivot.

You get a hearty Atta boy John.

Frosty the Lucky.