I Forge Iron

Thank You!

jdelaney44

A big thanks to everyone here and other places who have put out information about their builds and designs. Due to this I've been able to build two successful propane burners and am moving along to completing my first forge. I'm 50 now and have been wanting to do this since I first experienced black smithing at McCormick Jr. High School in Cheyenne Wyoming. Lot's of "reasons" why, why not. No matter. I'm here and it's becoming a reality thanks in a big way to you folks.

I'm documenting my forge build here for now:

http://redwagonforge.blogspot.com/

Time permitting I'll get some stuff up here too.

Best,
John

Looking at your blog, a single layer of hard firebrick is going to be disappointing. It will take a very long time to get hot, and it won't get as hot as it could because a lot of heat will conduct through, making the outside very hot.

I do find it interesting that you got good results from a liquid tight electrical coupling while building your burner. I may have to look at those if I need to build another burner anytime.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the tip. Yep. The fire brick is a calculated risk. I figure worst case I bust it out and replace it with cast panels. Or maybe just the outer layer. So I have something harder on the inside. I'm figuring I'm going to screw up the first one pretty big. So, I wanted to do that as cheaply as possible.

Best,
John