I Forge Iron

What do you use for an anvil stand??

Just polling for good ideas for a new anvil stand. I have one under my 220# Trenton that I like a lot. It is fabbed up from steel sheet (1/8") and is a square on the bottom with the sides tilted in to where it reaches the right width for the anvil at the top. I have it filled with sand, except for some chunk of 4x6 in the bottom (it was so heavy when filled completely with sand that I couldn't slide it across the shop floor) and there are 4x4s laid across the top for the anvil to sit on. It was nice doing it this way, as it was easy to adjust height until I liked it. The downfall is that it is HEAVY. One of the good things is that it is HEAVY.
The reason I am asking is that I have a second anvil out in the shop for my son to use. It has been on a stump, but the stump split in half the other day and I now need to come up with a new anvil stand for him. It would be nice to be adjustable so I can raise it as he grows. But I will consider all ideas.
Thanks.

Under my 300# Fisher I have a section of schedule 80 pipe with a 1" plate top and bottom. The inside is filled with sand and then I welded two blots to line up with the holes on the anvil and it is bolted down to the base. It is a very stable base. The Fisher is already quiet because it is cast iron but with this heavy base it is extra quiet. Nothing rocks this anvil!

The only reason I shy away from the sand box for him is that it is heavy, and he is 6, and while he is strong for 6 I don't want to make it too heavy for him to drag around. At the moment I have a few 6x timbers from a skid that I think I may strap together. It would be light enough to move, yet stout enough to not tip over and make a decent base. It is the growth thing that gets me. I supposed I could make a bottom plate for it while 2x6s, then just add a layer as he grows.

I never was able to attend Tom Clark's school but was told their anvil stands consisted of a square stump buried almost flush to the ground with all four corners having heavy angle iron lag-bolted to the wood. A second piece of wood, also with angle iron attached (but these pieces were slotted) bolted to the foundation piece. Bolts passed thru the slots and allowed any adjustment within the range of slots so it was easy to raise or drop the anvil height. One inch boards were stacked between top and bottom stump pieces to fill the gap, thus yielding 8-10 inches of adjustment. In this way, a 6'6" person could make an adjustment and forge comfortably at the same station previously occupied by someone who stood 5'6".

I am about the only person who uses my shop anvil and height is fixed but my 250 lb PW is set on a 300 lb block of concrete so the whole mass is pretty sturdy and won't scoot around when a sledge is used.

Make the 2x4 pile fastened well, put 2 wheels on one side and a bracket to put a lever with a set of wheels on the other side. Then he can still skid it around, and you add 2x4 as he grows to make it taller.

Or build it for your own height and build a stage for him to stand on at it.

Phil
concept on a vise

I try to choose my words carefully, and take enough time to compose my replies to avoid misunderstanding. YMMV

I did not say wheel, scoot, skid or shove the anvil and stand as a unit, I said "Does a six year old need to be lifting an anvil by himself?" The picture was of an adjustable stand solution that required lifting the anvil, adding or subtracting lumber, and replacing the angle iron base over the lumber. The biggest downside to this in use is the sharp corners on the angle iron catching your shins.

If you want it portable, you might try something like this. There is still the issue of raising the anvil, adding or subtracting sand, and replacing the anvil. Just sayin'.

post-114-0-46641200-1316778416_thumb.jpg

At the moment I have a few 6x timbers from a skid that I think I may strap together.

Sounds like a good plan. I strapped together a couple of pieces of a 6x14 DougFir beam I had laying around. The local lumber yard has plenty of steel strap in their scrap bins - probably free if you ask politely (it was for me).

2-hold_down-2.JPG