I Forge Iron

Are anvils cheaper today than in the past.

I have done a little research and it seems that anvils have never cost less than they do today. In the past they were several months pay for a working blacksmith. A descent anvil still costs about a months pay for a new one. A months pay for the average worker is about 2000 dollars. You can get a nice anvil for less than that. I bought a peddinghaus and it was not that much and it is a pretty good anvil.

Maybe in the PNW. But not in Southern Missouri.

That's a national statistic. Things have gotten really crazy in the last 40 - 50 years. Back then, one years wages for a skilled tradesman would buy a pretty nice house.

Bought my brand new 100lb Brooks anvil in 1972 from Montgomery-Ward for $150.00 (delivered to my local store). Or about two days pay.

When I started 30 years ago, they were going for $1 or so per pound but were very hard to find in good condition around here. I bought and sold several while trying to upgrade but none I ever found were pristine. I always suspected this was because most came off farms so may have been more abused than those coming out of industrial areas. A local heritage village has a nice 310 lb Haybudden but it's one of the few old anvils I know of in good original shape with no repairs.

Nowadays, there are several brands of new anvils available and that's a good thing...

Well, the 1912 Sears catalog lists Peter Wrights above 85 pounds at 10.5 cents per pound, so $26.25 for a roughly 250-pounder. Depending on what basis for comparison you choose, that's something like $2500-$3700 in 2009 dollars. A brand-new Nimba that size costs $1650. A 275 pound Peddinghaus is $1730 from Kayne & Son. A 275 pound Refflinghaus is $2400, and that's about as expensive as it gets.

Well, the 1912 Sears catalog lists Peter Wrights above 85 pounds at 10.5 cents per pound, so $26.25 for a roughly 250-pounder. Depending on what basis for comparison you choose, that's something like $2500-$3700 in 2009 dollars. A brand-new Nimba that size costs $1650. A 275 pound Peddinghaus is $1730 from Kayne & Son. A 275 pound Refflinghaus is $2400, and that's about as expensive as it gets.

Average wages in 1912 were $750.00 per year. So that would make that 250 pound anvil about two weeks wages. Most working people paid no taxes of any kind in 1912, but worked six days per week, so call it 12 days.

Average wage in 1970 was $18,000.00, making a 250 pound anvil @ $1.50 per pound about one weeks wages. Factor in 25% federal, state and local taxes makes it about 7 days work.

Current average of $44,000.00 and very good 250 pound anvils going for around $1,700.00 is exactly two weeks wages. 40% taxes and it's 17 days work.

I paid 10 days wages for my Tom Clark Ozark Pattern in 2004. That is a new anvil with stand, hot cut and bending fork.
I bought a used Arm & Hammer 84 pound anvil for around 1 1/2 hours wages.
I also found a used Trenton 410 lb anvil for around 2 1/2 days pay.
There are deals out there if you are quick and lucky

I think the figures reflect good old "supply and demand". There was a healthy demand and supply in 1912. Still some supply, but very little demand in 1970. Now demand has returned a little. So the price has varied a little. None of the used prices tell us anything, in 1970 an old anvil would bring $50 - $100 or scrap.