I Forge Iron

I thought that to anneal something you heated it up and let it cool in air?

That's how you normalize most simple steels. (I believe the metallurgy texts often refer to this as process annealing, so I don't think you're entirely wrong to call it annealing. But that's not what most smiths think of when they use the word annealing.) Annealing, in carbon steels up to about 0.8% carbon content, usually involves heating above "critical" and very slow cooling from that temp, often in a container of wood ash, vermiculite, etc. (That method can cause problems on steel with more carbon than about 0.8%.) Non-ferrous metals such as silver and copper are often annealed by heating to a high temp and quenching. And in this respect stainless behaves more like non-ferrous stuff than it does steel.

I thought that to anneal something you heated it up and let it cool in air?

If by "something" you mean metal that's too broad a brush..... Non ferrous metal with the exception of eg aluminum bronze won't anneal at all. Copper, silicon bronze, naval bz, etc, anneal better if heated to a dull red before quenching and ok if just left to cool.....Which is fortunate, cause large sheets can't be brought up to an even dull red and quenched. I've run across A36 that was air air hardening, which can be a real problem if you have a 100 balusters to anneal :angry: I think SS forges better than cold a36 and is tough for sure. The main problem for me is fine tapers and such cool quicker than mild steel.........

If by "something" you mean metal that's too broad a brush..... Non ferrous metal with the exception of eg aluminum bronze won't anneal at all. Copper, silicon bronze, naval bz, etc, anneal better if heated to a dull red before quenching and ok if just left to cool....Which is fortunate, cause large sheets can't be brought up to an even dull red and quenched...I think SS forges better than cold a36 and is tough for sure. The main problem for me is fine tapers and such cool quicker than mild steel.........

He's got 1-1/2" bar here, he'll think he's pounding cold mild steel.

I was asking for because I have the big rod and some 1/4" flat stock. I am going to be making a pot rack for my wife and thought that ss hooks on a black rack would look sharp. I have no plans for the big stuff for now, no PH and not enough ambition to forge something that big at this time. Thanks for the info.