I Forge Iron

Belt Grinder Belts

So, I am finally going to build myself a belt grinder. Since I am rather new to the world of belt grinders, I have a question for those of you with more experience.

I have heard/read more than once that good quality belts are important... So where do you get your belt grinder belts, or what brands do you use?

I've been using big box belts, whatever they have, and have also used better belts. Night and day difference. When I plan on doing some grinding I will order some good belts. For tool sharpening and whatnot I use the cheap ones I get locally. The surface finish is the same, but the longevity and speed of stock removal is very different.

Phil

• 8 months later...

I did a bp on this years back with all of the belts I use for knife making, I use the same belts for stainless steel and high carbon steel. The bp is number o235 you can find it in the pages section. Since I made that bp I have changed the coarse belts listed to norton blaze belts. I still use trizac belts for finer but they make a lrixac with a serrated face, I do not like that belt. I prefer the p;lain trizac.

Google-POPS Knife supply.

Big selection of all your needs for knife production and the prices are very reasonable. If you call when they are open (1600 -2000 M-F EST) the gentleman is very knowledgable and will help you any way he can.

Good luck with your project.
Peter

Wow, this thread came back to life. I started with some belts from usaknifemaker; they seemed to work pretty well, but for a college student, $15 seems kinda high for a single belt.

Right now I'm trying out some belts from this local place: http://www.fintechabrasives.com/sanding-belts
They actually make sanding belts and drums, and it's really close to where I live; I don't have to pay any shipping costs. I can't say how well they hold up, as I have not used them a whole lot yet, and I also do not have a very good point of comparison with other belts; but being able to afford multiple grits allows me to do some things I couldn't before... considering that I can get a pack of 6 2x72" belts for $12.

By the way, they have a really good deal on sanding sheets; $20 for 10 lb of sandpaper. It's all cloth backed; I think most of it is cutoffs from when they make the 6" or 8" wide sanding belts.

Luke,

Just a suggestion. Dont spend the money on the high end belts if you are just starting out. You will go through a few in the learning process.

3m brand, alu oxide at $4.50 or less is a good place to start. Get a good hogging belt like a 50 grit for the rough stuff. a few 120 grit for the mid range and a 220 for a finish. These will get you started. If you want the ultimate mirror finish you need to go higher and thats one place that the pros spend the money on the high end belts. Good luck.

Peter

I ordered some of those belts from Finntech Luke. Thanks for sharing them! Their shipping is quite a bargain at $8.45 for up to $250 orders and FREE for larger orders! I like the looks of the company and will let you all know how I like their belts. I had rather change belts oftener than to pay more and try to grind with them longer than I should. BTW I recently received a new 2X72 grinder from pheer1 on ebay and I am pleased with it. I think I got a very good bargain on this grinder. Variable speed and 10" contact wheel for less than $1,000 including shipping! I hadn't the time or knowledge to build my own and this one seems very well made.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...