I Forge Iron

Pie Safe Panels

A pie safe is to keep pies, breads, and other baked goods safe from flies, and other pests, (and childrens' little hands).

Because the kitchen's source of cooking was a wood stove, they were often hot places to work. I suspect that a glassed-in pie safe would quickly create too much moisture, thus ventilation was important. The decorative tin panels do both very well.

Hi John,

I am Ladysmith.

I use to go to a couple of festivals growing up that had blacksmiths. I would stand there totally lost in the forge fire, and entranced by what could be made.

My first real experience blacksmithing was around 1995, and I have been blacksmithing off and on since. I am the demo blacksmith at Caledonia State Park near Gettysburg, PA. (and yeah, I still get totally lost in the fire.) :)

Last year, due to an injury at my day job, I chipped my elbow, which caused a lot of nerve and tendon damage. Two surgeries later, and these guys are right, the current hammer I use weighs 165 lbs. You can search the archive for the story, or find me in chat, and I'll be glad to show you a picture of it.

I am by no means the only female blacksmith in this group. Honestly most of them know more than I do, and produce some amazing artwork. Do a search of the gallery for some of the pictures. :)

Pam