I Forge Iron

What do you need to get started in Blacksmithing?

you don't need money to start blacksmithing. you just need to be resourceful. I've sourced everything I needed for my forge build and my temporary anvil for $0. The only thing I'll have to buy is coal, and if you can find a supplier it doesn't have to be to expensive. I'm getting coal for $0.12 a lbs. and you don't need much space for a forge, just so long as it's outside and not near stuff that can catch fire. a driveway pad works great. or even just a gravel driveway/parking space.

You need to read through the posts. Use the search function, and don't put the cart before the horse. The items you're talking about making are the cart. you need to get the basics down first.

I built a coal forge from what was just lying around, While being a lifelong weldor, I'm sure I had more lying around than a lot of folks do. But, you can certainly scrounge around and find what you need. A solid fuel forge is a very simple thing. It is just a place to contain a fire. An anvil is just something to resist the force of the hammer striking. I have picked up many hammers for $1, at flee markets. It cost very little to aquire the basic things you need. You can learn a great deal just by searching the internet. I'm sure there is an experienced smith in somewhat close proximity to where you are. Get a basic setup and have at it, so to speak. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid of failure. Failure is nothing more than a lesson in how not to do something.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. No need to apologize, it is in fact refreshing for a new comer to realize they're asking questions that have been asked and answered thousands of times. bumps you up on my list.

Living in suburbia means coal is probably not going to work well for your neighbors and so for you. charcoal is good fuel but you might consider a gas forge. Don't get in a hurry, be patient and keep your eyes open for goodies. Probably one of the most common newcomer mistakes is wanting the PERFECT set up. the tools do NOT do the work, they're just extension of the human mind and hand, YOU will be doing the work and humans can do all kinds of stuff with a surprisingly limited list of tools.

The other common newcomer desire is to make swords, not that many folk have the patience to spend a few years to get competent enough to start learning how to make swords. A sword is NOT just a long knife, it's a whole different world.

Get hooked up with the local blacksmithing organization. If you to the Iforge home page and scroll to the bottom you'll find the sites of regional organizations hosted by Iforge. Start reading the descriptions and even logging on, find one that's close and hook up. You WILL learn more in one session with an experienced smith than you will in weeks or months trying to teach yourself.

Last in this reply but oh SO far from least. Drag up a comfy chair, bring a lunch and beverages and start reading the sections here on Iforgeiron. make use of the experience, problem solving, tips, tricks, shops, machinery, tools, etc. of some 80,000 members from all over the world. Pick what you're interested in and start reading, taking notes is allowed too. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

I once welded up a damascus billet using a claw hammer, a piece of RR rail for the anvil.  The forge was made from sheet metal (it was welded but could just as easily been riveted).  The fuel was charcoal sieved from old bonfires and we did have a nice hand crank blower.  It's the *SKILLS* that are important not a fancy set up.  Find the local ABANA chapter and start attending meetings!

You'll be surprised where you can find useful items. it's not all scrap yards and flee markets. I got a lot of metal and two anvils (large heavy hunks of metal) from a local rock quarry. A friend of mine knew the owner, and we got hooked up. Great guy by the way. other places to talk to are your local welding outfits, and heavy equipment repair places. A lot of them will have very large scrap piles, and may be willing to trade. You clean up the shop a little, they give you a shot at the scrap pile. stuff like that. Once you're up and running, making a few "thankyou" items for the places that helped you out is always a good idea. Best way to get them to let you visit again in the future too. Just talking to relitives can be helpful as well. Many people on here talk about how when they got started, their older relatives remembered that there was some RR spikes in the barn, or an anvil sitting un used in Grandpa's old shop. Etc. Your dad might know some people to talk to as well. It doesn't hurt to try at least. and if you involve him in it, he may be more willing to help you out in the process. Maybe even going so far as joining you in the search for tools and such. Knowing the people around you and what they are connnected to is a great thing to have. I'm 31 and have a house and kids of my own. but when I needed a good stump for my anvil I went straight to my dad who works in the lumber industry. it was a no brainer. You mentioned that your dad is a retired mechanic. I'd venture to guess he knows a lot of people that could help you out in this process. or at least help with sertain parts of the process.

• 1 month later...

A couple of examples of blacksmith shops. Take note of the anvil, bellows, and general use of tool and tooling.

The common thread in each of these videos is production. They use what is available and make it work.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to give a shout out to everyone here. The collective wisdom has quite thoroughly weaned me from a disturbing Netflix habit. ;-) I was bitten by the metal bug a couple of years ago and became INFECTED when I was fortunate enough to take a blacksmithing class at the community college. BUT, I got sidetracked by life events and lost my path, somewhat. However the affliction was just barely under the surface and has begun to erupt. :-) I will soon have the parts to build my first forge (atmospheric gas) and I am now the proud owner of what appears to be a Hay Budden 150# anvil. I'm so excited I can hardly sit still! O_O -- for the record, I have NO interest in making swords. ;-P (I'm most interested in sculpture, home/garden decor, and probably some tools.)

• 3 months later...
Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, January 15, 2014 - spam
Hidden by Steve Sells, January 15, 2014 - spam

Often the environmentally friendly college graduation garments style isn't only in relation to solutions made from organically grown grinding, but solutions recovered, ヴィヴィアンウエストウッド 財布 新作 ヴィヴィアンウエストウッド アウトレット ヴィヴィアンウエストウッド アウトレット,reproced along with vintage garments. Several manufacturers which maintain your understanding of fashion as well as durability usually are producing clothes via organic silk cotton, クロエ バッグ クロエ バッグ 新作 クロエ アウトレット,chemical substance cost-free and less hostile stamping strategies. Additionally, for the product packaging in the solution, オロビアンコ バッグ 新作 alliwaa オロビアンコ バッグ 新作,some of the choice markings released reused paper totes or maybe product packaging it doesn't possess adequate environment impact. ミュウミュウ バッグ ミュウミュウ バッグ アウトレット ミュウミュウ バッグ,Past a new school clothes selection having its unique id, there are a message regarding environmental attention, a concept in which should set up a connect that will goes beyond style. ヴィヴィアンウエストウッド バッグ 新作 www.cafeshishkebab.com ヴィヴィアンウエストウッド 財布,Glance at the greatest variations that may make you shine and show your personal interior attractiveness. Having super fast commercialization joined with growing throughout manufacturing, クロエ バッグ 新作 www.celebrities-wallpapers.info クロエ バッグ 新作,vehicles in addition to facilities, often the air pollution amounts usually are increasing in a alarming level. オロビアンコ バッグ 新作 http://www.alliwaa.com/ オロビアンコ バッグ,One of several worst irritated is the air possibly be inhale. Airborne debris is a major irritant, leading to critical difficult. ミュウミュウ バッグ http://www.eastexsports.com/ ミュウミュウ 財布 新作 2014,The sole answer to these troubles is usually installing dirt treatment equipments from local, business oriented in addition to commercial shops. Dust removing equipment help brush your atmosphere associated with dirt.

• 5 months later...

Thanks JeremyK for the link

Another video on primitive blacksmithing, or is it all that primitive after all seeing what they can do with the tools at hand?

Mud hut and a couple of river rocks, striker, double lung bellows and your good to go.