I Forge Iron

Files & Filing Primer

I just use the drill press as a vertical lathe to turn file handles. Then I fit them with a piece of EMT conduit as ferrule. Of course you can buy file handles at the hardware store for next to nothing, but you can make them for nothing and have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. As always your mileage may vary.

post-21692-0-79619800-1315009233_thumb.j

MattBower,
You're being funny and/or obtuse? It's a pushed, cutting stroke.

Not intentionally, Frank. I understand how a file cuts. I'm trying to figure out how to make a pushing motion while making the motions I think you described. You said, "In filing something rounding. you start on the side away from you. When you reach the top of the round, the file is horizontal. You finish the stroke going upward on your side of the round." I am trying to envision what that means. It is not obvious to me. Are you talking about one single stroke of the file? You're working on the top of the work piece, right?

I do not question whether you know what you're talking about, Frank. We're just having a communication problem here. I'm not following your description.

MattBower,

Yes, a single, cutting stroke forward. Lift and repeat. You won't be covering a full half round, maybe 60º or so on the top area of the workpiece. The file is going to rock [like a seesaw?] but it will be cutting and moving forward over a curved or convex surface instead of pivoting from a single.center, as a seesaw does.

My ex-father in law used to teach Technical Writing. Now I know why.

All Best. Pardon me if I sounded snippy.

MattBower,

Yes, a single, cutting stroke forward. Lift and repeat. You won't be covering a full half round, maybe 60º or so on the top area of the workpiece. The file is going to rock [like a seesaw?] but it will be cutting and moving forward over a curved or convex surface instead of pivoting from a single.center, as a seesaw does.

My ex-father in law used to teach Technical Writing. Now I know why.

All Best. Pardon me if I sounded snippy.

OK. I get what you're saying. You're sort of swooping the tip of the file, down and then back up, as you push. And the point of contact with the work shifts backward, toward you, as you're doing that. Huh. I'll have to try that.

OK. I get what you're saying. You're sort of swooping the tip of the file, down and then back up, as you push. And the point of contact with the work shifts backward, toward you, as you're doing that. Huh. I'll have to try that.

I think you've got it now Matt.