I Forge Iron

Unforgivun

As for calling me a traditionalist I make my living forging metal I use the most effective technology to do that. I just bought an induction forge I have a Hydraulic press and an air hammer. I also routinely use a coal forge, punch holes and forge weld. If i am traditionalist I don't know but if I am, then we all are because there is no real need for anybody to hand forge metal these days. There is always a faster cheaper way to produce an item than a blacksmith working at a forge.

I felt that your rebuttal was sufficient. Did you not? If not what would you like to discuss.

As far as their time being better spent repairing an old vise. I agree. If they have an old vise to repair do that. I would. Again though, if I didn't, I would build one so that I had a vise to work with.

To build or not to build? Nothing wrong with an extra vise. The two that I’ve made are on page 3 of the “show me your vise” thread.
There was a time when these two vises were the only two that I had. The time spent to build them is time in my life I will never recover. They are good tools for specific tasks and the one that opens up 22” and rolls like a wheel barrow is so versatile for certain types of work that I wouldn’t part with it. The “post like” vise can be matched or replaced in its uses but still proves shop worthy as it is there when I need it.

I have from time to time discouraged building tools like vises because what makes a good vise is not easily obtained through welded assemblies. Vice manufacturers have a severe advantage having the resources to cast the irregular shapes that make up a vice out of Ductile or Nodular iron having a tensile strength of 60,000 psi. This allows for the construction of a clamping tool that is a lot less bulky than a welded assembly that does the same thing. Hence, a tool with more versatility.

That doesn’t render a fabricated or “home built” vise useless. Nor does it define the construction of such a thing as time wasted. It just makes it easier to say the commercial vise is a better tool.

My only recommendation for those undertaking the building of a vise is to try and implement some features the one’s you can buy don’t have.
If your purchased vise has jaws 4 inches wide, build your vise with jaws 6”. If the purchased vice opens up a maximum of 6”, then make your home built one open 8 or 10. Then you’re adding extra versatility to your shop.

Theoretically, (assuming 100% rigidity) a post vise inflicts radial clamping because it has a pivot point. Your vise design using the casters (assume same rigidity) would inflict “linear” clamping. Depending on the task you may desire one over the other. Good luck with your vise projects. Spears.

Theoretically, (assuming 100% rigidity) a post vise inflicts radial clamping because it has a pivot point. Your vise design using the casters (assume same rigidity) would inflict “linear” clamping. Depending on the task you may desire one over the other. Good luck with your vise projects. Spears.

Neat!