I Forge Iron

Shop Storage,

knots

I have a chronic storage problem which has reached crisis proportions since consolidating two shops into one space. One of my favorite solutions was stacking 4" diameter sewer pipe into my industrial style storage shelf. A couple of 1x 3's screwed to the shelves front and back contains a loose stack of 2'- 4" long PVC tubes into which all sorts of stuff can be organized.

post-14777-0-67256900-1314393544_thumb.j

looks handy, I am a big fan of the "hang it from the ceiling" method as well.

If you mean hang the PVC pipe from the ceiling, one handy way to fasten the pipe to the rafters is with those Omega shaped conduit straps. The metal ones are plenty strong as well as cheap. That is a great way to get things out from under foot.

Many times the ceiling /roof IS NOT sufficiently strong to hold wind loads, snow loads, etc. The extra weight may help hold the roof down during high wind, but it will bring down the roof with a heavy snow load.

Under a wok table is an ideal place for 4 inch PVC pipe and storage.

I very much enjoy other shops and the solutions to storage issues..my 2,000 pound layout tables on wheels weigh 6,000 now due to under table storage, my stock racks are 20 foot long and far too full in the first two to five feet..all the stock leaning in the corners is creeping out into the work areas now....and can fall to the ground at times when the 3B is working hard.
The best thing I have found is to have it all on the ground and walk on it...or rather..that is where it ends up anyway.

I envy those with clean shops....most days I can not tell you for certainty that I, in fact, have a floor.

Ric

Many times the ceiling /roof IS NOT sufficiently strong to hold wind loads, snow loads, etc. The extra weight may help hold the roof down during high wind, but it will bring down the roof with a heavy snow load.

Under a wok table is an ideal place for 4 inch PVC pipe and storage.

yeah, i keep my light things up there so i can keep my heavy things within easier reach. my under counter storage is all for tools. I admit I have used Ric's method of floor storage at times, but walking on 3/4 round stock can be troublesome :blink:

Find some carpet cores (the paper tube the carpet is rolled on) and cut the core to just below the top of a 5 gallon bucket. Fill the bucket with cores and add your short sections of stock. The stock no longer wants to lay down on the job. (grin).

If you use 55 gallon drums for a back of the building storage system, and if you had several pieces of stock shorter than 3 feet, you could always dedicate part of your storage system to those lengths.

I would not think that you would want to use the *under the shed* 55 gallon drum storage system for storing your shorter lengths of stock as it sometimes gets moist during a rain and high winds.

You gotta have a place for your stuff (LOL)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, thank you, thank you men!
Good ideas, and I am going to put them into practice today!

I very much enjoy other shops and the solutions to storage issues..my 2,000 pound layout tables on wheels weigh 6,000 now due to under table storage, my stock racks are 20 foot long and far too full in the first two to five feet..all the stock leaning in the corners is creeping out into the work areas now....and can fall to the ground at times when the 3B is working hard.
The best thing I have found is to have it all on the ground and walk on it...or rather..that is where it ends up anyway.

I envy those with clean shops....most days I can not tell you for certainty that I, in fact, have a floor.

Ric

Ric, that is so true even though I try to keep the floor clean!