I Forge Iron

2nd try at pattern welding

Justin Carnecchia

Hi this is my second try at pattern welding. Last summer when I made my first attempt the billet was too big so I cut it in half and stuck the other half in my pile of scrap. Well last week I dug it out and forged this.

post-21954-0-97738200-1314044488_thumb.j

post-21954-0-59008600-1314044583_thumb.j

It is etched in vinegar wich I am not entirely happy with so I will probobaly sand it down and redo it in ferric. If all goes well I will get it finished next weekend. Thanks for looking, -Justin

1095, 15n20, and I think I tossed in a layer of mild. Not sure why I put the mild in. It is hard to tell in the pic but it is showing three "colors" shiny 15n20 and then light and dark in between. One of the layers I think the mild is also coming out shiny but not consistently, I don't think I sanded to a high enough grit and the vinegar didn't etch entirely evenly. I am still up in the air as to wether I like this blade, so I may leave it but will most likely resand up to 600g and re-etch before I finish the knife.

Looking good. I've got one started myself. It started out 7 layers of leaf spring and 15n20. Not sure what the spring would be though. They came from a trailer axle. I've gotten it forged down to 14 layers at the moment. I'm hoping for 112 layers by tomorrow evening. Always fun having to do it by hand.

Scott

Hey thanks guys. I know I won't have time to resand it anytime soon so I am planning on getting some ferric chloride and doing one mor dip, hopefully setting off the pattern a little more.
Scott, yeah its great fun by hand isn't it. Honestly after my first attempt last summer I had decided not to do any more till I got a power hammer but this one went pretty smoothly so I will be doing more soon. Curious about the spring steel, I was under the impression that some of the alloy steels like 5160 could be very difficult to weld. Although from a trailer it could be lots of things including 10-- series. Have you welded any of the chromium steels? I have heard of it being done but I have also heard not to try. How many layers are you going for? With this one I would have done one more fold if I was paying more attention.

thanks again guys, glad you like it. -Justin