I Forge Iron

Just got a new anvil

I’ve been wanting a nice anvil for several years now, but most of the ones I've seen around here are either banged up or too small. Every now and then I check Craigslist, and recently, saw a Mankel anvil only 15 minutes from here, so I jumped on it.

It was advertised as 125#, but when I picked it up, I knew it was less than that. Felt like about 100# when I got it off the truck. By the time I got to the gate, it felt like 300#. When I got it in the house, I was sure it was a 500 pounder. icon_wink.gif?m=1256325351g

I weighed it, and it’s actually 111, which is about what the one I have now weighs. But this one is a Mankel, and my old one is a made in Russia ASO, so it should perform much better.

It's actually a farriers anvil, but should work just fine for blades.

My old one:
82111-1.jpg

The new one. It’s in almost new condition.
82111-2.jpg

82111-3.jpg

82111-4.jpg

82111-5.jpg

82111-6.jpg

82111-7.jpg

I paid $350 for it plus the stand. Did I get gouged, or did is this a good deal?

This guy has more farrier supplies for sale, in case any one here needs any.

Phillip

I'd put it on a stump as it's pretty light and that stand looks fairly bouncy too for doing blade work. Lovely condition and those turning cams can be quite useful if you like to pre-bend a blade before hammering in the bevels!

The stand it came with is too tall, and like you said, kind of bouncy, so here's what I have it sitting on:

82111-8.jpg

It's a bunch of 2 X 4s stacked, then a couple of big rings which weigh 64 pounds each, if my memory serves me correctly. The rings are a couple of rollers from a steel mill. They're hardened H13. B)

• 3 months later...