I Forge Iron

Outside craft shows (My first... and last)

Been doing inside craft shows for a few years and thaught doing one outside would be fun.
Everything was going great, people strolling by, chatting about my favorite topic (blacksmithing of course).
Then the wind picked up, the sky turned black and one of the worst rain storms I've ever seen started to pour.
Gazebos flying everywhere, displays falling, glass and ceramic art shattering on the asphalt, etc...
After the winds fell enough to pick this mess up, we had the pleasure of loading everything in the truck in the pouring rain.
Most of my stuff is treated for "inside ironwork" so I had to go through each forged item I had to rag dry, then used a hair dryer to reach the cracks and hard to reach spots.
My beautiful wife and 10 year old daughter were there as usual to help me get through this mess, I am truly blessed to have them.

Naz

post-8684-0-17371400-1313065616_thumb.jp

post-8684-0-62063600-1313065641_thumb.jp

post-8684-0-50942300-1313065663_thumb.jp

post-8684-0-45845000-1313065681_thumb.jp

You have my heart-felt simpathy! I've been doing shows for three years and have had some pretty nasty weather but nothing that bad. It looks like you got hit heard....thanfully iron-work doesn't break! :D

Do you seem to do fair with inside shows where you can't demo? I've thought about switching and not demoing.

Hey Naz. Looks like a real nightmare. Man, I've had some nasty ones, too. But by far, the good ones outnumber the bad ones. Keep your chin up, my friend, and don't give up completely on outside shows. I have sold a lot of work and taken a lot of orders by the customers seeing me demo on the forge. Good luck. :D

Thanks guys !
Good luck with the show Mark.
Dave, I do quite well with inside shows. This year I will have a digital picture frame showing the process and techniques used.
I know there's nothing like seeing and smelling it live and that is what we love to do but I find this way I'm more available to answer potential buyer's questions and they don't feel like they're interrupting my work etc...
Thanks for your replies and encouragements !

Naz

What a hassle! Plus if you paid for the spot, then that's more money down the tubes. When I was doing shows I had to learn the hard way, too. Just wasn't worth the risk of bad weather. It doesn't have to be rain either. We had a gusty windy day and a jewelers' glass display cabinet flew open into a woman's face cutting her nose off with broken glass. It pays to pay for an indoor booth. But shows aren't what they used to be. The fees for some shows are around $1,000 and that doesn't garantee a crowd or a buying one. It's tough to find the right place to sell our work

By the way, you have some beautiful work. Keep up the good job!

Thanks Randy !
Some of my work was inspired by your DVD "A BLACKSMITHING PRIMER" when I was starting out.
I absolutely loved it, a great basic blacksmithing course explained in a way even I could understand.
I appreciate your comment on my work !
Naz

Good to hear you weathered the storm and are still going. Be thankful none of your product was damaged more than a little drying won't cure. Nobody got hit by lightning, falling trees or structures. It could've been so much worse.

Frosty the Lucky.

I have had people tease me about setting up a "childs swing set" when I set up my pavilion. My ridge line and poles are 1 1/2 inch sq pipe, locked together and independently supported with 4 guy lines, unlike most where the fabric itself holds the tent up. I did this to prevent a tent from landing on the fire pot if I get surprised by weather or a person pulling loose a guy line for the surround supports of the fabric. It has held up to very high winds so far.

No matter what I do I have had too many people walking into the guy lines, possibly from watching what I was demoing rather than where they are walking. Most the visitors to these events are not used to dealing with tents and tent lines, so I tried to idiot proof as much as I could.

Hi Naz, great work B) but don't get discouraged.
We do several outdoor events every year and invariably it rains for one of them.
Have been using a canvas tent which has held up well in the rain

We'd like to do some events where the canvas isn't practical and we purchased a King Canopy pop-up which is a heavier duty version of the Ez-Up canopy.
Some things I've noticed about the pop-up:
All pop-up canopies need to be staked down with guy ropes. High winds could either lift it off the ground or blow it over.
Any pop-up is flimsy so always check the weather. If it looks like a big blow is coming, we won't set up and that includes the canvas tent.
Looks like there is a potential for ponding of water on the roof and have been told a hula hoop placed in the framework on each side of the roof will push the fly up to prevent that.

Our canvas is a 14' square sutler wedge tent from Tensmiths. One side lifts up like an awning and can be dropped down again when heavy rains come. It has gone through some heavy downpours.
Six tent poles go across the front but in this photo its rigged for some light rain that was forecast.
This photo was taken before we were able to stick short American flags in the ground at each rope stake to make the ropes more visible.

IMG_2127.jpg

I store extra product behind the canvas wall which gives added protection.

IMG_2126.jpg

Allen

I feel your pain at Tater Day (Yep Tater Day) in Benton Ky three years ago there were tornados and I had no shelter to begin with but when it all cleared off there were 2 ez-up in my spot I ask around and nobody clamed em so I still use them to this day, even after that I still prefer outdoor shows, I just check the weather first now

We had the wind blow hard all one day, it was hot, too, at a flea market we were selling antiques at, what a pain and NOBODY was buying in that weather. But at least my EZup's still had the legs attached !! The next day was nice and we really did well.

Looks like you have some very nice things on your table, good thing you weren't at the flea market I went to, my wife would be mad at me for hanging out at your booth !!!