I Forge Iron

Help Identify This Anvil

Ok,
So the bride and I were spending time (and money) at the 127 yard sale and i ran across this anvil. It weighs about 200 LBS. I got it for $200. It rings well with only a couple of imprefections but I cant tell what type of anvil it might be. I initially thought the upper plate was added but looking at the Hardy hole it seems to be one piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

Harold

post-18412-0-88207000-1312741503_thumb.j

Ok a couple of questions.

1) What type of steel should be used to replace the missing face piece.
2) what process should i use to join the faces and the tool steel to the base. I understand this was most likley forge welded at first but this does not seem practical now.

Thanks,
Harold

• 2 months later...

I believe I have a Hay-Budden weight 153lbs, Serial 195750, Length 27", Height 11" I was wanting to know of what the value of it may be, how old it is, and any info you can possibly tell me.

That anvil was made in 1912 according to Anvils In America, value depends on condition and location

Fifty cents a pound to $3 a pound depending on information you didn't provide. Think of it like a vehicle---would you post "I have a Ford Ranger Pickup---how much is it worth?" Could be the $100 that the scrapper's are paying for a wreck or could be almost new price for a fully tricked out 2012 model... In general age isn't much of a factor in cost as an anvil basically has to get into the 1700's to be considered "old" I use my 1828 William Foster just like I use a 1921 HB