I Forge Iron

Tools what order?

need your expert advise on what tools to get I'n what order I am starting out and have the chance to get a variable speed belt sander, a table top or floor standing drill press or a band saw. So what order would you get first and why, also what are some of the things you would use each for.

Well as of rite now I know the belt grinder? Sander? Was used for bladesmithing, the bandsaw is an old meat processing saw that was converted to metal bandsaw blade, and I think the drillpresses are American tools brand, not too sure on the specifics of all but I can look, I do know that they came from sierra forge and fire I'n Exeter (was a local blacksmith school) and I have been working with the owner trading labor for tools. I have hammers tongs blower water cooled tyure (sideblast forge) and working on building a blown gas forge. Havnt done a whole lot (smithing) yet but would like to turn out some Damascus knives and mokume....

I find my belt grinder/sander more useful than my drill press many days, except on days that the drill press is the thing. Many things I do with my drill press, especially on thin material, can be done with a hand held electric drill.

I don't have a band saw, yet.

Phil

Dont forget a good 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. I have three of them one with a cut off blade, one with a grinding wheel and one with a cup wire brush. I use these, my drill press and my 72" belt sander more than any other power tools I have.I have three grinders just because I'm lazy and dont want to spend the time changing wheels or blades each time.:)

If you're intent on making blades you will need a belt grinder. I prefer a floor stand drill press for the freedom of access. A converted meat saw turns too fast for cutting metal and if the pullies have been swapped out it isn't as rigid as a metal saw. Still, with skill it'll work.

About skills: Trying to outfit a shop without having at least a good handle on the craft is a recipe for costly mistakes in the first place and a crowded poorly outfitted shop in the second, possibly a costly stuffed storage room in the worst. For instance why a "blown burner?" (known by the professional burner folk as a "Gun burner) Are folk telling you you can't forge weld in a naturally aspirated (commonly incorrectly called a "venturi" burner?) Not true at all unless the folk saying so just can't do it themselves.

Sorry, that sounds pretty condescending and it wasn't intended as such. You're here asking advise and that's the right path.

I understand taking up the opportunity to trade labor for equipment, provided it's a good deal of course. Can you get some instruction as well? Brain picking is what I'd be doing. Of course if you're not working with the old instructor, just gitting er done is the better course.

Can you post pics of the choices? Be a little more specific about what you want to use it for? If all you wish to do is make pattern welded blades you don't even need power tools, just the skills to make.

Frosty the Lucky.

Find out the belt dimensions (length/width), horsepower and RPM of the sander/grinder, and how much labor it'd take to get it. Make/model if you can, but that's not applicable if it's a shop-built machine. If you want to do blades, the grinder will be far more useful than the bandsaw and the drill press -- if it's a decent grinder. If it's some silly little 1x42 (not likely if it's variable speed), forget it. The drill press will come in handy if you have to build equipment; hand drills are not much fun for drilling larger holes in thicker stock.

Thanks for all the help, the guy wants 1500 for the grinder he said it retails for 2600 said it was a mk-1 I am fruit to get him to hold on to one of them and maybe pay it off slowly, as for the drillpress he has bench top for 80 and the taller floor ones for 125, sooooooo ..... They are 3/4 horse motors and have differant pulley sizes. Should I buy the smaller because I have the 80 now, will it be good or should I hold out ( problem is the gerage is small and not a lot of room. Manly used for making knife's)

Hey frosty, sorry it took so long to get back to you. The blown forge- well that was what I was able to get parts wise w/out spending any money, so it kinda just worked out. The only reason I am trying to get the tools before the "knowledge" is that it seems to me to be a good deal, I may be wrong ..... Butt I have always found than having the rite tool for the job is less time consuming for set up and tear down and less having to improvise. Seeing as how I don't have a shop and the wife insists on parking I'n the gerage i like to make set up and teardown for my projects as minimal as possible. Don't get me wrong though I have been reading, and have the drive to learn it's just that I have little time., so just looking to save some time and outfit myself with tools if they are a good deal while I can and maybe a little later on when I have loads of time (and a shop) I will be like many here!

There are 1000 drill presses on Craigslist for every grinder suitable for a knifemaker. It is all about availability, when will you see another one?

Is this particular machine worth the asking price? "Hard saying, not knowing" as Bob says. You did not say what brand a mk-1 was, or how old or in what condition.

Next question is, what kind of motor and speeds does it have? 120V, 240V, 480V? Step pulleys or variable speed DC drive? How many accessories come with it?

I am 54 years old, moved across country twice, and still waiting for a dedicated shop of my own, I do work out of my basement, in the back yard or driveway, spare time at work, wherever, so everything I own has to be portable. There are plenty of stories of guy who built the perfect shop, only to have to sell off the big stuff when they moved. Don't wait for perfection, settle for adequate. You have a garage, count yourself lucky.

My fortune cookie advise: Bloom where you are planted.