I Forge Iron

can't get 4140 hard

For a while now I am trying to harden 4140 for use under the power hammer. I use 3/4 x 3 x 8 blanks that I bought for a blacksmith magician. I forge them to shape, soak them in my propane forge (with a little excess propane to not produce scale) for an hour, quench and then temper. For quenching I tried old motor oil first and for tempering my wife's kitchen range (400 F). The resulting tool did not hold an edge for butchering one tenon and the end mushroomed. I later heard that motor oil is no good and changed to 3 gallons of canola oil: Same result. Then I added 1 third Diesel fuel to my canola oil to reduce viscosity: still not hard. Finally I thought, even if it cracks: lets water quench. It did not crack, but the resulting tool was very soft again (for tempering this time used a knife makers kiln at 400 F. My tool, a feather swage for power hammer use had lost its nice surface after one leaf.

One aspect of getting off marked steel is that every mill/dealer usually has a different set of marking colours so if "yellow" from dealer/mill A is 4140; Yellow from dealer/mill B might be 1020.

The problem is when you have re-seller C that has steel from both A & B and may have their own marking system to boot.
Confusion oft doth occur!

Lots of us use warm vegetable oil, anything from used fry oil from a fast food place to peanut oil leftover from Thanksgiving's Turkey Fryer.

Not in the league of a good engineered quenching oil like a parks 50 quench oil.

We generally advise against used motor oil as it's fairly contaminated with nasty stuff

Some folks use clean ATF.

I use old crankcase oil for my power hammer dies and have had good usable results. I temper in a small oven at just about 400 deg F for 1-1.5 hours per cross sectional inch. You can not overtemper a part so lengthen the time as opposed to shortening. I fixture the part in front of the mouth of my gas forge and try to ramp-up to temperature +1600 over say 20 minutes.

Thinner things like blades which have great value needing superior integrity throughout should use the best quenching medium money can buy. Thick power hammer dies used for shaping and texturing can get away with using less strict processing methods and still get pretty good results. Without "checking" it you'll probably end up with Rockwell 45-50 C scale using 4140 quenched in oil long temper session ~380-400 deg F. I use a tub of ~17 gallons for a maximum of 2 dies per session weighing in at ~5 lbs each. Good luck. Spears

• 1 month later...
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-1261-8313-34-x-3-4140-cold-finished-annealed.aspx I use peanut oil for slower quench steels and use fast quench from mcmastr carr for the faster steels..On the note of mild steel for tooling at times I will use mild steel and harden it somwhat in super quench..Ive had the same mild steel fullers in my guillotine for over two years and they have only started to show slight wear..i would stick with something tougher for a butcher though..Speedymetals sells 4140 in many shapes and sizes..Ive bought plenty from them..Though not real cheap right heres 3/4" x 3" 4140...

For a while now I am trying to harden 4140 for use under the power hammer. I use 3/4 x 3 x 8 blanks that I bought for a blacksmith magician. I forge them to shape, soak them in my propane forge (with a little excess propane to not produce scale) for an hour, quench and then temper. For quenching I tried old motor oil first and for tempering my wife's kitchen range (400 F). The resulting tool did not hold an edge for butchering one tenon and the end mushroomed. I later heard that motor oil is no good and changed to 3 gallons of canola oil: Same result. Then I added 1 third Diesel fuel to my canola oil to reduce viscosity: still not hard. Finally I thought, even if it cracks: lets water quench. It did not crack, but the resulting tool was very soft again (for tempering this time used a knife makers kiln at 400 F. My tool, a feather swage for power hammer use had lost its nice surface after one leaf.

Imho, 4140 only gets hard when quenched in water, and needs tempering at 325 deg for an hr per inch of thickness. That's not what the specs say, but that's what I've found works. Hammer heads, dies, whatever... Oil will not get it hard. Tempering beyond 325 deg will soften it beyond use. Rob Gunther says it can be hardened in super quench. I don't know as I haven't tried it. 4140 seems to me to be one of those border line materials that depending upon how you want to use/abuse it, there is a lot of latitude in processing. For most, it's a pretty forgiving material. I like it.

JE

Imho, 4140 only gets hard when quenched in water

According to this data sheet
www.fordtoolsteels.com/pdf/LSS_4140-4142HT.pdf
you can use oil for quenching.

The quenching temperature for 4140 is quite a bit higher than the Curie (non-magnetic) point, so using a magnet for detemining the quench temperature does not work.

Sorry John, not my experience at all. Most references warn "NEVER water quench 4140". Water quenching is usually avoided in sections smaller that 2". In tools up to 1 to 1-1/2" I've never had trouble getting low to mid 50's Rc as-quenched and 46-48 Rc after 400 draw.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry John, not my experience at all. Most references warn "NEVER water quench 4140". Water quenching is usually avoided in sections smaller that 2". In tools up to 1 to 1-1/2" I've never had trouble getting low to mid 50's Rc as-quenched and 46-48 Rc after 400 draw.

Grant

Grant,
I'll be happy to send you some "beater" hammer 4140 heads that did not harden in oil despite being heated to 1550 deg in a heat treat oven and quenched in 150 deg oil. Water is where it's at if you want to get 4140 hard. I don't care what most references say. I'm going with reality.
I made a number of hammer heads using the "referenced" method, only to find they were soft. As a last resort, I went to a water quench, and 4140 finally got hard...w/no cracks.
I feel that one has to go with what works for you. I'll take h2o.

JE

Just as a comparison we harden tons and I mean tons of 4140 over 3" thickness in water from about 870 deg C and retemper to 575 deg C and can always reliably get a hardness of 302 hardness brinell. I reckon it's not 4140. For the app you describe I would tend to find 4140 a little soft, I'd use 5160 (spring) harden from 850 deg C in oil, temper by heating till the oil from quenching flashes into flame.

Phil

Over 2", I agree completely with water. Even then it won't get very hard in the center.

As I was trying to tell John, I agree oil won't do it when you get above 1-1/2 or 2 inch. Which I believe is right where he's at unless he's making awful small hammers. Plus austenizing at 1600º as Phil is doing in important too.

I've made thousands and thousands of tools from 4140 and never have trouble getting full hardness in oil. But just like the original question in this thread I'm talking less than 1" thickness.