I Forge Iron

starting damascus question

ironbudd

Many people buy theirs from Knifemaker's supply companies; though buying directly from a company like Admiral is often a better deal.

Myself I do a lot with bandsaw blade for the high Ni, high carbon and pallet strapping for the medium to low carbon and start with 21+ layers--and all free too!

Now you have asked an INTERNATIONAL forum where to get something. If someone suggests a place in England, France, Poland, Singapore, Brazil, Australia, South Africa---is that going to help you?

I strongly suggest you list your *location* when asking location specific questions! Many of us do that by editing our profile to show our general location whenever we post so others can say "Hey I'm right down the road from you and I get my XYZ from GHJ's about a mile over there!"

• 3 months later...

my preference for several different grades of steel, is the local scrap yard. many different grades of steel in the various parts ranging from differentials ring gears make some nice blades, the shafts in a transmission, connecting rods and cam shafts.
plus if you get to know the guys that work there you can often get some really good stuff for free.

possible scrap 15n20 is the blade from a portable wood band saw they make boards from trees
I believe a lot of metal band saw blades are bi metal
I have also used large bearing races possibly 52100
High carbon steel strapping grind off the paint. heat and quench to make sure it gets hard
possibly pick up a piece of wrought iron at tail gate sales for conferences. There is a guy at SOFA who brings quite a few pounds every year. I think he scrapped a couple of bridges. Wrought doesnt have any carbon

Large bearing races can be carburized 9620 IIRC, smaller ones are usually high C all the way through.

Wrought iron can have quite a lot of carbon depending on the grade. Most people assume it's zilch carbon; but a lot get surprised---especially with the lower grades and older pieces. I've run a bloomery and I've had blooms running anywhere from near zero to almost cast iron!