I Forge Iron

6" honyaki wa-santuko

Hi, I have been working on this knife for some time. I had picked a handle material, and then it didn't come and didn't come, problem at the post office or something. Well I gave up on the wood but not the knife. I have an old gnarly aspen stump lying around so I fired up the chainsaw, cut a piece off and threw it in the stabilizing jar. Well that was last week and now I got the handle together, wouldn't ya know the beautiful chestnut burl I ordered finally came. Well I think I like the aspen more.

So here it is: 6.25" blade 12" overall with a balance right at the heel, differentialy hardened W2 tool steel honyaki wa-santuko with spalted aspen handle and buffalo horn ferule. It is all done but the horn still needs polished. Here the pics.

post-21954-0-79831900-1311388155_thumb.j
post-21954-0-79025400-1311388086_thumb.j
post-21954-0-01803800-1311388000_thumb.j
post-21954-0-78419700-1311388218_thumb.j

So that's it, thanks for looking let me know what you think, -Justin

Hey, thanks guys!

Horus, I didn't do a single bevel because I have never seen it on a santuko. It is my understanding that the santuko is a newer design intended to be a practical all around knife, where most af the traditional single beveled knives are very task specific. I have seen gyutos with the single bevel or a 70/30 bevel though and they are of the very thin multi task variety like the santuko, I have been thinking of doing that with the gyuto I make. How's that katana coming? would love to see some pics :)

Thanks Rich, I am hoping the stabilization will adress the issue of cracking. I'll keep my fingers crossed, I have not worked with it before so it is a bit of an experiment.

Thanks again, -Justin

• 3 weeks later...