I Forge Iron

Forging Corten

This gal seems to do well with corten.......................

1. Alice Bakker / Alice W. Bakker ; Sculptor. hammered and forged ...
    www.alicewbakker.nl/pagina's_e/techniek-e.html - Cached - Block all www.alicewbakker.nl results... are made of the weatherproof corten-steel; the patina that is formed by ... This metal is forgeable while being cold. Both stretching and raising ...

I've no experience with it but I would expect that you'll see little difference between Cor-Ten and mild steel. Carbon levels are similar and the alloy percentages in Cor-Ten are pretty small. It appears to me to also have quite minimal weathering advantages... minimal payback for the sharply increased costs (IMO).

never ever heard of cor - ten - but thanks mac bruce for the alice bakker link - that girls stuff is very good, i like it alot - very intersting sculptures :) jim what do you want to make with it??

Beth,
Corten is supposed to weather very evenly, I'm thinking a good choice for an exterior project, near salt water. My community needs the entrance to our cemetery completed, possibly with an arch. I'm hesitant to use mild steel because with the high percentage of carbon nowadays, it weathers so badly. I'm considering stainless steel or silicon bronze boat shafts, though I really don't know much about those materials either...
JIm

Well salt water is a killer for Cor-Ten! It's protective weather film only forms under a very narrow set of environmental conditions. Users are often surprised to find that it rusts away even faster than unprotected mild steel under many conditions. Considering the price differential this must be a very distressing discovery! Paint, for example, can lead to frighteningly quick rust through areas. Salt water environments likewise. Do some reading about the actual performance of this product before buying it! IMO it is a smoke and mirrors product with a non-performing record and a HUGELY inflated price. This Wikipedia article has several interesting examples to consider.weathering steel (Cor-Ten)

Cor-ten also stains any concrete or paving stones under it very badly with rust. There is a building at Cornell University that was sheathed in cor-ten and the sidewalks looked awful around it.

Can you get the boat shafts donated for the project? Make a big difference in price!