I Forge Iron

"Of Shoes,and Ships,and Sealing Wax ..."

That's interesting,Clay,you know,i've also heard that the Furthest that anyone in the world can be related to each other is a cousin,seventeen times removed(exept i've a difficulty with the term:One remove,what's that?Cousin of your yours but by marriage?).

Beth,i'm sorry,no:Clay forges sythes,i've never had that pleasure/challenge.
He also uses them,too!(While i cut grass for my dogs like a woman-with my fish-knife,using it like a sickle :) ).

But here's a very important deal:I ABSOLUTELY derive endless amount and degree of REAL support from the monkeyhouse!

I'll tell this story,it's a real story,though i've forgotten many details,that happened in the '90-ies,i believe:Once upon a time,in a land far,far away,in Washington D.C.,there was a group-home,where a bunch of retarded people lived.
They tried to keep it together,and some of them could function in society,after a fashion,and they were lucky,and got themselves a janitorial contract.At the Pentagon,no less,a real Government Job!!!
So every night off they'd troop into their van,and drive to the Pentagon,where they mopped and cleaned all night like elves.
And they did a corker job of it,and would've lived happily ever after,if one of them didn't happen to be given a different shift.This new work schedule left him there vacuuming in the hall so late in the morning,that the office people were already beginning to show up for their work.
And when all those 5-star generals would pass by him in the hall,he'd stand against the wall,close his eyes shut,and scream at the top of his lungs!
So,they were all fired,because it was just too unseemly.
And the American Civil Liberties Union(an infamous liberal non-profit)stepped in,and hired them a lawyer,who said that that guy's reaction to the high-ranking members of the military Junta was the most natural thing in the world,et c.,but the rest of the story doesn't really matter.
The jist of it was that WHAT he screamed,were the names of people that he knew,and trusted.
So,now you know how i plan on coping at that show!And,yes,your names,my monkeyhouse friends,cousins seventeen times removed,is what i'll be screaming! :ph34r::) :P

Good story, jake! Our fears, our lack of self esteem can really hold one back. After doing craft shows back in the '70's and '80's I really saw that it could be better to have someone else sell your work for you. And price it, too! Someone else wouldn't have the personal attachment that we have with our work, and is not looking for the approval, or afraid of the rejection. Guess that's why I like having some whimsical pieces to show. It's an icebreaker and gets the conversation started with smiling faces. Makes it easier for me to interact. Find something to laugh about and you'll do great, Jake! I know that telling you that you deserve it and you do great work doesn't out weigh what our subconsious is telling us, even if, and especially when it's true. Go for it any way!

Jeremy, My bad. I seem to be mixing my characters here. I was referring to Jakes friend in Fairbanks, Brian. My apologies to you. Now where is that picture of myhand? Sorry not much from me on the philosophical end of things.

Its been hitting about -11 f here so I've not been in the shop much. Ok thats a lie. I havn't been in the shop at all. Its just too dang cold. My cut off is about 20 f. Any colder than that and I just am too uncomfortable. I really need to insulate and heat the shop. Oh well, all things in due time.

hey bryan im sad your so cold man.... have not heard your voice much recently in here - i hope other details are good even if its TOO COLD...? what have you been up to? are you still battening down the hatches on your barn (may have got that wrong - like i said its been a while...) jake - bring bryan the artists book, i know you wont use it :) he might like it for the quiet months...? when you came to town? owl snot roads etc? its actually warm and muggy here today which is my most grumpy type of weather ( we english LOVE to talk weather as you'll all know) there is no air movement, it is warm and damp, despite being novmber?? and expectations are bright frosty lovlinesses.. it has no redeeming features for ME anyway. i hate to be hot.
jake your nut house screamers story is very touching, actually makes a lump in my throat - although i realise its funny also :) and im relieved to know that if push comes to shove at the Outreach - youve Completely got a get out plan to soothe your soul :). now. lets see if i can show you this cool sculpture or if its a NO again today...

it wont let me! (outrageous...) its not meant to be.

big foot - (clay?) i dont know much about you except that you make scythes and your jakes friend. where do you live? do you really like making bladey related objets? its funny what you said about cutsomers and friends - ive often made friends through a start of work, but then , to the point where, we dont even bother with the work once we are friends! friendship is so important and so sustaining. nicewhen it comes through work...

Beth I am in the Saint Louis area of Missouri. I am semi retired. I do many artsy things and am lately very into my rustic woodwork and smithing. I have threads here about scythes and chisels and such but I also enjoy jewelry work and hardware forging... so not the typical sharp edge obsessive. I have 4 dogs and 2 cats and usually a couple of horses though they are my wife's. I keep a few chickens for eggs. Lately the economy has been so worrisome that I am working quite a bit... because it seems prudent. Like many artists nothing typical seems to fit me... I am spray painting a basement ceiling today. painting a house tomorrow. I've mostly abandoned power tool woodworking in favor of the drawknife and shaving horse.

yeah - the power tool, gives with one hand, takes with another i reckon.:) but thats a bit idealistic of me... sounds like you turn your hand to anything - you got to, havnt you, working for yourself? i like jewellery very much too, its design really, more than wearing it, although sometimes i have been known to :) (thats rubbish - i love wearing it ) im into the idea of bringing jewellery techniques and ideas into the iron work, on a larger scale, but with the decorative detail that some jewellery has - tribal jewellery relates perfectly to our medium, with its punched marks and cut ouits and forged shapes, its something i look at and think about quite a bit... have you seen some of the thai karen tribe silver jewellery - not all of it ( there are many copies about of a naffer variety) but lots are very nicely shaped pieces, and also rajasthani gypsy jewellery - not precious metals really, but its both simple and flamboyant styling is Very Appealing :) (one of my fave necklaces is an old choker necklace very thick and heavy, which i got from a gypsy in kashmir a very long time ago ( a lifetime some would say !) made up of 'beads' of about 2 inches long with multiple holes through sideways for threading , stacked up vertically next to each other , round my throat, till, at the middle is a huge square of metal (some odd alloy) (green skin etc ) with glass set into in, behind which is some coloured foil of all kinds of colors mainly greens all madly reflective but filthy and dark at the same time - its amazing - and beneath the central bit, is a small dangling leaf marked with punch marks - smae tall heavy beads on the other side... (sorry - long totally unnecassary explanation !) also - the mad victorian stuff withlocks of hair, jet, and babys scalps inside it! i love all that ! :) and of COURSE - the ancient pieces, even some of the things dug up in my area are so simple and stunning - it makes you wonder why people bother with diamonds and all that jazz... quite like jewellery thats percussive and loud, bells, dangling elements, would like that in a gate for example - NOISE :) something jake said earlier i am reminded of - i meant to comment, but i will now, aabout the importance of latches - ABSOLUTELY!! you win the priveledge (as maker of such items) of being integral to somebodys view/experience of their day, you can have massive influence on they and their visitors mood, and possibly, ideally, have such an Effect..! its the same with gates - i love the thought of people passing, traffic of people, different people, but a core of a few, or perhaps one, back and forth back and forth through you gate, through the images youve chosen, theshapes youve made - it is such a great place for the work to be. the best of these things are used and used without end, and they not only improve with that use, but they enhance the user, if built with beauty and integrity ect ect all those things we strive for :) LUSH as we say (too often ) here :)

Hey Beth, ya its been cold.. and snowy. The pole barn is done ..as done as I can do it anyway. I need to hook up some electrical in there but that will have to wait to spring. I don't mess with electricity. It has a tendency to hurt me.

When I was in the Navy, we had to do Planned Maintainance Subsystems, or PMS. No I did not just make that up. That is what it's called. Anyway, I had to do a PMS on a radar set. Now these things have these huge capacitors that store really large amounts of current. Durring the PMS I was supposed to take a grounding probe and short it out so it wouldn't shock me. It was usually no big deal. You ran the probe over the contacts and that was that. And I did. But some how missed the largest capacitor. So I get started with cleaning the filters and checking all the bits on the PMS card in the order specified. When suddenly, I fly across the room. There was a sensation of floating followed by an abrupt stop as I bounced off the wall. My shoulder was on fire and there was a hole burned in my shirt. Bright spots danced before my eyes. All I could say was... "Ahmm, ahmm, ahmm." My mouth moved but nothing came out. Eventually I could hear again and the laughter of everyone else in the work space is ringing in them. They came over and checked me out. Helped me to my feet. One of two of them saying I should do it again as it was so entertaining. I seemed ok but had twisted my ankle when I landed. So, I had a slight limp for a couple of days. I can still see the tiny hole in my shoulder. Its very small but never did close all the way over. Of course I still had to do the work, but I never again missed that large capacitor.

Wow,Bryan,that's a great story!I can picture it vividly,and don't trust the electricity either.
Working at the city's powerhouse couple of winters ago,my buddy on the day-shift lost a part of his hand,it just melted away,it was no fun.
Best to steer clear of the stuff.
I'm sorry that your shop's not warmer this winter.Sooner or later,you'll get it weathered in.

Just in case,if i may offer this advice:Don't sweat the insulation,it's irrelevant.You don't need the forge to STAY warm,it's unnecessary.
97% of our winter days the temp. is only uncomfortable to us,not the tools.When those few and specific conditions/situations arese,one can deal narrowly,specifically with each.
For example,at -50-60F,for weeks this one winter,i used a 50 watt automotive pad-heater on the crank-blower oil reservoir,worked GREAT,you can slap one on an anvil.
You have propane,bring the bottle inside,right next to your barrel-stove.
(You don't need anything that's "efficient",or "holds the fire",and all this hypothetical fluff.And,I'm speaking now to a man who lived his life,served in armed services,worked in industry,et c.,so all the goody-two-shoes safety rules are also,in THIS case,irrelevant.Throw the propane right inside,it works).
So,a barrel-kit,a 30 gal.drum,if you can find one,or even 15,a simple roof-jack(same disclaimer as above),and you're set.
You come in in the morning,build a fire,45 min.later it's totally comfortable.You start working,and will probably never look in the stove again,probably,end up opening the door.That's that.

In a harsh environment it's never a good idea to buck the prevalent trend,to paddle against the stream.If it's cold,you go trapping,or do whatever's appropriate for the conditions,not put yourself at odds with the forces.
BUT,winter can be one of the slowest times,for our strange existence here,and it's good to utilise it for the forging.
Other times of year being so rushed...

But you know all that,so,very best of everything,i'll probably get to even see you in person,sometime soon :)

The Yukon has slowed Way down,Thursday,and sometime in the night has come to rest...
This is it's last turning around,getting comfortable:

post-3679-0-65363200-1320514528_thumb.jp

Yesterday it was VERY quiet,and still,and lots of snow falling.The view in front of the cabin will change little now,till the break-up,in May(that's a life-time away,and many a critter,human and other,will not live to see that).
The river-born slush has compacted in the last thrashings of the current,got very dense,damming up the water to cause a slight rise.That rise has saturated a few bottom feet of slush,cementing it together.
Now,in the night,it dropped to -10F,for the first time,and the process is complete.The river is now a solid,a trail,a field upon which all sorts of action will take place.The few holes will close at some point,maybe claiming a few less careful while still fresh.

post-3679-0-56220500-1320514569_thumb.jp

It's ever more cozy inside the cabin,and even in the forge,with stoves blazing.Nice to think of all the ample supplies laid in,only the ironwork causes worry and discontent,and will force me to leave all this behind in just a few days.It makes less sense then ever,the vanity that chases me out to re-join the rest of humanity,on whatever level,and for but a limited time,but still.
The schizophrenic aspect of it all is particularly stark now.

Phew... finally caught up with this thread again!! Trouble is by the time I've caught up and read it all, there's so many points I feel like commenting on along the way and by the time I'm here, I forget them all... just about!!

Jake your metalwork is so awesome, so phat... I don't really use that word, but it's the only thing I can think of that describes it?
Phat Fe!!! or Fat FE... but phat is somehow nicer than Fat...

I love that winter setting in feeling, and I miss that here in Southern England, here it all just sort of blends together and there's not the drama and extreme change between seasons.

Beth, post some photos of your jewellery!! I have this shell necklace thing that I got in the South Pacific, in Rarontonga.... its the edge of a shell with cut marks in it, would lend itself well to making out of metal actually. I once made a neck piece and gave it to my friend, she loved it, and wore it out to a club one night, and she had bruises on her neck from dancing!! Maybe the non ferrous are a bit better for jewellery eh... I realized after that there is a reason for this lol.

Am getting geared up for an open day on the farm where I've just relocated my forge to. will involve a day of doing the boho dance, or shameless self promotion, or whatever you want to call it, am dreading it, but it's one of those necessary steps for survival I think...

Anyway, off out to see fireworks... have lots more points to add I'm sure..... all in good time eh!!
happy hammering.

Thanks,Colleen,for reminding Beth to really,please,post some pictures of your jewelry,and other stuff,the imagery is so important to all of us here,and for a number of reasons i've neglected to ask her that...

There's nothing at all wrong with the word FAT,it's,as a substance,the staff of life(the meat containing mostly protein,that can be got from other things(like rice and beans),and few more complex amino-acid chain segments,which,together with the vitamins,are almost all in fat).
Fat used to mean "the best",as in:"Bobby Shafto's Fat and Fair...",so it's all just a passing trend,not worth paying any attention to.
The Inuit always held up a fat woman as a standard of beauty,and her cheeks needed to be fat enough to stick out past her nose.(The skinny women were considered mean).
All the best of luck with the "dance",it is the survival(of those few with any taste...).
From what i know of the Southern England from books("The French Leutenant's Woman"comes to mind),it's very beautiful,but the people have lived there such a long time,making the resources scarce,and so thus,we dance for our supper...
Here's a couple of more shots of the sparkling-clean river,the open water steaming ominously...

post-3679-0-78273900-1320522587_thumb.jp

post-3679-0-08652800-1320522615_thumb.jp

I'm washing up to go to yet another friend's wake,this year's been tough on the old-timers...
I'll go down to the community hall,there,as dictated by the athapaskan culture,to sit around the dead body,and crack dirty jokes,and laugh(and cry).There're long tables full of food,too,that everyone's cooked and brought,but as an aknowledged ne'er-do-well i'm not expected to bring a dish.
Among the food offerings by the coffin with the body there's also a large bowl full of cigarettes,thank god at least this culture still honors the tobacco as a sacrament...

blimey - awe struck by your photos as usual jake - such BEauty man!!! i think we should make it part of the ritual on here to post photos of the nearby environment so that we can see where we all live :) i constantly am surprised and elated by my own surroundings, the actualy colors at the moment are FABulous, and i will bring them in to the funny farm, right here if anyone would like to see them (and even if they dont :)) can almost feel that cold bright air in my lungs off your river....
colleen the shell sounds lush :) and i think i can even picture it, cos of having something very similar - i think if i posted pictures of jewellery i had MADE it would be fairly tedious, simply amateurishly set stones, badly made hearts :) i was young.,,, i needed the money.... and most of it given away for love :) ( i did make one i was proud of for my big brother, a big round medallion with a star of india stone set into the middle, and a gold cut out pattern soldered ontop the thick silver disc and round the stone. (bad description.. )the hanging loop at the top was thick and soldered solid to the piece (as i always choose to hang pendants - robust and complete..) (might get a photo off john) BUt i could try to find interesting ly made things ive gathered from various locations... will have a scratch about.... im rooting for you also colleen - for your dance macabre - you'll be ok good good luck - its what we have to do sometimes - even if its just to keep us on our toes, to show us and remind us why its to be vehemently avoided next time!! ( and invest in working out another way,.,....)
jake :) i too love the word FAT - FAT FAT FAT (and PHAT although one ive never used , i certainly would, but maybe in a slightly different context - more taking the p**S out of my teenaged sons.. i love the subtelty of language :) always an exact time and place ) i CANNOT believe you have quoted bonny bobby shafto jake!!!! Im telling you - i grinned so wide when i read that :)! bonny shaftos gone to sea, silver buckles at his knee, he'll come back and marry me, bonny bobby shafto :) adore those rymes.
fat is absolutely a good thing - and modern western culture has totally undernourished itself by its wholesale rejection of the stuff - fat bouncy babies with ruddy doughball cheeks, chubby butterball legs and arms, blimey you could eat em up!! and you got to love a bit to eat - specially in winter, on top of meat casseroles and soups, when there is a golden oil slick, a kind of alchemists foody dream! and butter so thick on fresh bread you can see your teeth marks in it... fat is warm cuddly and plentiful and signifies abundance in most sane cultures - mothers love - although i have to say i dont approve of a fat DOG. (cats - absolutely ) thin like a garden rake hockey stick and wooden spoon will soon be out of fashion again..
colleen hope you enjoyed your bonfire night - how different it could have been if old guy fawkes had completed his mission - the whole story still holds a vast appeal doesnt it? - its possibley my favourite community event - have just come in from ours and it was great - MASSIVO fire (always have nagging doubt that the children have crawled inside as they light it up) radioactively hot and all those flocks of sparks going up in such huge volumes. wonderful. and i bumped into a girl i had not seen for years with whom i had a lovely time disscussing a wonderful book about midwifery ( one of my fave books which i force upon people at every opportunity for the most tenouous reasons - but she was actually interested! bonza!! ) lots of lovely sulphurous fireworks and lots of food, and now i will pour myself a drink.
jake - (im back and forth tonight..) i hope the wake went (buy the time you read this) well enough, and respects were paid - its one of the things we do so badly in this country, and smoking a load of rollups round a dead friend whilst crying laughing and remembering does not sound at all bad to me. i have STRONG oppinions on this subject, which, for everyones sake i might save for another time. hope it goes well my friend, and you come back well fed, smoked, watered, and at peace.

Jake, thats great advice and I'll follow it to the best of my ability. Very good stuff there. I get alittle to introspective when I am not more physically active. My shop is a work in progress and I have the parts I need to make an indoor coal forge. I need to get it put togeather and a flu installed. The anvil I usually warm with a piece of hot plate I have sized to fit my gas forge. I heat it and place it on the avil face. It warms the anvil quite nicely. I have been thinking about getting one of those newer propane heaters that emit no CO2. A small one isn't very expencive and I can use a regular 20 lb. tank to fuel it. That may be a better option in my situation than a wood stove, as I have a wood floor in the shop. Something else I was thinking was to use rock wool to insulate. Mostly because its fire rated to 2300 degrees F. They make it from molten stone in a very similar way that they make fiberglass insulation. Anyway just some thoughts on it.

Oh... grrr... just in the middle of writing very insightful thoughts and comments... computer decides to crash... so it's all gone, but could have possibly been the gods of technology editing my meandering rants... was just winding up with photos of where I currently roam but alas the gods of technology are telling me that there's an internal server error... computer says no... another time i guess...

Colleen,i'm sorry,it's annoying for sure.I found that it helps to renew the page on here,especially with photos.Hopefully you'll be able to post both you deep thoughts and the photos of your lovely part of England.
Beth,right on,that's a great idea(s),about everyone's cool surroundings.As usual,your letter is rambling and good-natured,good-willed,too,and goes far to raise one's mood for the whole day!
A giant bonfire sounds killer,man,that's something that even kids nowadays can't help digging!
Something else that you've said previously amazed me-i didn't know that you're so close to the Oxfordshire.Is it the Salisbury plain that's in between you and it,and can you walk there,across the fields,and stiles,and the stonehenges an'all? :)
(It's very evil of me,but i always really loved Thomas Hardy, "Jude the Obscure" in particular,and was my memory not totally shot,i'd remember the geography around about you...).

I'm finally done with the doorhandle,and am very disgusted with both it and my work-habits,also more than ever disgusted with the scheduling.I've NOWHERE enough time to experiment sufficiently,make test-pieces,re-do stuff,in other words,do things RIGHT.

It's awful.In reality,i should use every one of this pathetic handful of samples that i've prepared as a Study,to make a detailed Plan,with Calculations and all the measurements,and only then Attempt a Real object,that i'd actually stand behind,both the design and quality of execution-wise.
I've made a mistake agreeing to the conditions and the time-line of this particular show.

And all that goes in spades for the stuff combining iron and wood,as it adds another dimention,an entirely different set of tools,thinking,seeing the stuff in your mind's eye,et c.

The handle worked out badly,the ideas that i had for it i've had no time to implement.
Just barely managed to stay with my general evil intentions:No abrasives,only cuts on wood surface(wood likes it not to be fuzzy-surfaced,it causes it to deteriorate.it must be Cut,on a bias,with a sharp blade,closing the ends of the cellulose tubes).
The copper accents are there to leach the poisonous Cu oxides into the grain of the wood,poisoning the sugars and the starches in the wood,as it's an outside object.
The fudgy iron ornament on the top covers up a mistake,it's an afterthought,and out of place.
So,that's my vintage product:Aesthetically entirely eclectic(i.e.poorly,ignorantly planned).The execution-crude(according to my level of technology).
But technically,given my lifetime experience with the materials,and their use,executed sturdily.
My propensity for making wrought,or wrought-looking stuff,inevitably leads to that same style that often,in Alaska,is referred to as being made by a "stoned hippy with a chainsaw".
It's something that i can't really resolve,unless i've got time and resources to Work,zounds!!!By the pustular sores of all the saints,i need the time and the space to do decent work!!!(And the worst part is that i do have so much more than so many,and still it's not enough...).

post-3679-0-02443400-1320588823_thumb.jp

post-3679-0-38684700-1320588852_thumb.jp

post-3679-0-98657500-1320588977_thumb.jp

Jake, I think the piece is great! The pieces compliment each other, the copper was a good solution and the colors are very complimenting. You know we are our own worst critics! Picky, picky, picky. Sure it may not be exactly as you invisioned but you learned along the way, you found solutions for problems that arose during creation and you have a functioning handle. These things are a work in progress. From what you learned from this one the next one will be better and so will other things you make. Plus it's an opportunity to do another one. This is positive growth! Often when I start a new project I have a mental picture then draw it up to figure up details and construction ideas, but as the work progresses there are things that I hadn't planned on or the piece wants to go in another direction. That's when I sit back and observe what's happened. Often it had a better idea or flow then I had. Learn from it and move on. Some times we learn our limitations, too. Again we have a choice. Either avoid the problem, learn how to do it, or find another solution. It's a constant chalenge. That's what keeps it interesting. :)

Randy is very right about this! I love the handle! Sure, I'd do it differently and so would you next time... it is great just as it is though. One piece of advice from an artist/painter that has stuck with me is the idea that the best paintings are like conversations... the painting gets to talk once in a while too! I've found it even more applicable to other art endeavors. Pieces with imperfections often become my very BEST work! Because I am forced from my mental imagery and made to stalk the jungle and fight for my work... ALL my senses come alert and I abandon the concept of time and the constraints of planning and hunt as I was born to with my instincts and skills all honed and vibrating! Where I once would be downcast and resigned to starting over, I now lick my artistic chops and renew the hunt in earnest!

So hold your head high Jake! Think of this as the beginning of a thread of work that promises to lead upward toward the iron gates of Valhalla! For if you truly believe, so shall it be!

So do not look upon your work and say "DRAT! I could do better now." Say "I LOVE this work and it was a JOY to do and I know that I WILL be doing even better work soon!"

colleen - i tried to take a photo myself to day for you lot, was in my car and pulled over - the view across the land was so ENglish!!! but my camera was nowhere to be seen... i will try again, and so must you..! i have had trouble uploading any pictures on here recently though, not sure where that particular prob originates, specially if your getting it too.........
jake - oxfordshire - yes i cross from gloucestershire to oxfordshire wiltshire worcestershire , its all close, its all lovely, its all jude the obscure , misty spires, stiles, tolkien, stonehenge and much much more - its all very SMALL SCALe round here, thats what you got to rememebr, its rolling hills up here in the cotswolds but, Sweet Small rolling hills, miniture some might say who have lived in more expansive locations up in the north. i love it dearly, it is my home, and i know its looks inside out! dont apologise about your fondness for the deeply gloomy jude the obscure ( i must re read it - read it eons ago - at shcool...) i love the thomas hardy in general, and sobbed and gasped my way through jude at the time - you cant ask more from a book :)i adore and embrace a bit of gloom personally - if it were a TRUE story i would not be so interested though, because it would become out there depressing, rather than a fueler of the imagination... i would love to walk across wiltshire to stonehenge - there is a path called the cotswold way which runs through many places i know round me, but also much further, it goes from a small town high up in the cotswolds,all the way to bath, and i will walk it one day - the dilemma being the configuration

all - me, husband, 2 boys 1 girl 3 dog
and reduced versions
me and husband
me and children
me and a particular child (would have to be multiple walks)
me and the dogs
OR, more pertinently,
Just Me. i am 40 in a couple of years and i will do it then in some paten or other, i want to carry very little, and sleep in the hedgrows a la traditional gentlewoman of the road :) the dogs would love to come...
jake the work - youve finished it - something i envy without end, i Just lack your focus, so BRAVO me boy - you know how i love it , buty i must also add the angles and lines are shown even beter on the latest photos, i too think it will be a collectors item :)
extremely interested as per normalle (there is a french woman in me today...) in your wood grain cellular structure talk - am highly rating your consideration of such detail - its all integral to what makes it look so superb in my oppinion. and do you know, the more you use the term fudgey as a term of self abuse - albeit directed at the work, the more i think of it as a good word ! very descriptive, and not entirely a bad thing. how can fudge be bad ;)
big foot and randy - great posts - what you both say is so true - and we should ALL love what we do far more - there is colective hapiness and energy to be gained from that approach. also big foot i have to quote you what a fantastic line,,,,

'all my senses come alert and i abandon the concept of time and the constraints of planning and hunt as i was born to with my instinct and skills all honed and vibrating"
i LOVE it!!

ps jake - yes stoned hippy with a chainsaw is most certainly a "look" here too - one i have practised myself with no small conviction many times previous to my incarnation as an intelligent skilled bsmith ;)

It's very kind of both of you,guys,thank you.(Politeness is of a great importance,always),but most importantly:

I'll easily sign right under every statement that both of you,Randy and Clay,have just said.Amen.

Now,it leads us into a couple of tough problems:WHERE's that WHEREWITHAL,to keep on pursuing that one idea,while the track's still fresh?!Rethorical question,needless to say...

All that is what makes my relationship with the public,the eventual beneficiary of this whole process,the people that will be liking,or disliking,or whatnot,this handle,in large part a RESENTFUL one:

As in "You .... so-and-so,DON'T you get that you're robbing yourselves,by not supporting me?Dumba$$es,d'you really think that i'd be doing all this for MONEY?ANY amount of it?I'M doing it ONLY for YOUR own good,so that YOUR space will be endowed by the quality of visual/tactile experiences...Just give me a modicum of support,i've already gotten more than you'd ever know out of this,my process,but to keep producing stuff i need to stay alive,you morons...(I'm not an angry artist,or person,though i can,and do,offend,purposely and otherwise,so what,big deal...).

Sorry,but all that is how i feel,the minginess(a neat English coupling of mean and stingy)is awful.On top of everything else i'll need to do bizness with these people,it's truly disgusting,all of it,gross in the extreme.And very bad for creativity,eroding it like acid...).

jake - the minginess IS awful - ive been witnessing it all day - you can ooh and ahh as much as you like but if you aint gonna BUY any of it - well, it wont be about for you all to look at will it? your words amuse me but its becasue they are so accurate.. and your warmly welcomed to winge as much as you like on here , though its sad, we can do little in the way of concrete help.. its not like much in terms of finance is needed, i can see that. its shameful if nobody will suport what your doing.. maybe they will anyway who can tell. cosmically order it jake, see if it comes to pass. ? you never know who you will meet at your mission hall... if i could i would sponser you or whatever if it is, i would send you house keeping and fags etc so that you could persue the search for truth and beauty. .. im not making light i am sincere, i wish i could give you what you needed to continue. people CAN be dumb ass*s this is what we fight against, but some out there arent, you just have to find THOSE ones amoung the powers that be. and talk to THEM... jake your e just going to HAVE to get your dancing shoes out and put them on. put them on now, before you go, get used to the tough leather that is alien to your feet, and the blisters that they give you, wear them in, scuff the toes a bit, then you will feel more at home when you have to do your dance..... pretend they are the Red Shoes :)

Hi Jake, Looks like you have got a handle on this forging business after all, Its a unique piece (again) and turned out well.
Just think of the fun you would have if someone would like to commission a pair (or more) of them!

All these conversations are over my head, But I used to have a phrase that you could find useful and is appropriate for you. " Individuality is my Speciality "

Sweat tears and a part of your life that you can never replace is in this piece, Don't denigrate yourself, its a worthy legacy to leave your mark in this world on, nearest thing to immortality we can hope to achieve.

I would have posted some pics of the steam engine passing at the bottom of the garden, and a pathetic little smattering of snow on our surrounding landscape but since the latest updates, it (the site reply options) refuses to accept or upload them. Good luck with the missionary work.

Edited by John B