I Forge Iron

Brian Brazeal Forgeries

post-14885-0-10368300-1309719935_thumb.jMy son Daniel and I have been practicing the tool building skills that Brian Brazeal and Lyle Wynn tought us several weeks back. Attached are some of the tools we have forged. Not quite perfect reproductions of Brazeals forgings and we are a lot slower. On the other hand we are getting better as a team every weekend that we forge together.

Cheers,

Chris Riffe

I would have to say that the hammers and hot cuts look good. I know what you mean about being slower- I spent a good 4 hrs today working on a pair of hammer tongs, another 4 hrs I may have a tool that I can use, and I have a power hammer

I would have to say that the hammers and hot cuts look good. I know what you mean about being slower- I spent a good 4 hrs today working on a pair of hammer tongs, another 4 hrs I may have a tool that I can use, and I have a power hammer

Clinton,

Truth be known...Daniel made the chisel in a hurry after we returned from Brians shop so he could practice making flowers. It works well but it ain't pretty. I threw it in the picture to try and encourage the young'un to strive and produce better looking products. He is none to happy to have his "less than stellar" works posted either here or on his blog page. On the other hand, he does pick up the pace afterwards! This morning we are off to forge another top cut and a hammer eye punch for the next "iron in the hat".

The mean ole' Dad.

Outstanding work! Don't worry about the time, it will come with repetition.

Brian,

Thank you. Daniel will be tickled that you replied!

We forged the first hammer at our HABA demonstartion (and the hot cut hardy) and then the following weekend forged the second hammer and a top cut hardy to give to the George Ranch Historical park. The second hammer was much better than the first one, so Daniel decided that we had to re-forge the first one to more closely match the second. He is becoming more descerning as he forges more pieces and more people are looking over his shoulder.

As always, Daniel and I much appreciate the assistance you provide us. We are constantly going back through your forum posts and pictures to learn the techniques and processess.

Time to roust the boy and head to the forge.....

Cheers,

Chris Riffe

I finished the tongs today and I am happy with how they turned out, here are some pictures. I used potato digger rod it is 1/2 inch diameter
post-10376-0-95315100-1309821701_thumb.jpost-10376-0-21787300-1309821690_thumb.jpost-10376-0-16037600-1309821696_thumb.jpost-10376-0-80766600-1309821708_thumb.jpost-10376-0-66131500-1309821715_thumb.j

Clinton,

Very well done.

I am ashamed to admit that Daniel and I still have not finished the two pairs we started when we were with Brian. We have two pairs we made while in Mississippi to allow us to build the hammers, but we really should finish the others just to stay in practice. Maybe tommorrow night...or this weekend

Outstanding work! Don't worry about the time, it will come with repetition.

Brian,

It is no wonder that the bottom cut hardy I took a picture of looks so good. Daniel just pointed out that it was the one you made! He had swapped it out with the one we made becuase the hammers and your hardy are going into the iron in the hat next weekend. Daniel thought folks would be a whole lot more willing to pony up for your hot cut than ours.

Cheers,

Chris Riffe