I Forge Iron

New blacksmither from Washington state

juicaj1

Well I've just started blacksmithing after months of studying videos on youtube. Ok just about started I still have a few things left to get and need to finish making my forge. I'm 18 just graduated high school and going into the material sciences next fall. I've realized I don't know a whole lot about blacksmithing or metallurgy in general so I figured this would be a great resource when I inevitably mess up and need help. I'm very excited to start though!

Welcome to the group
Check out joining the NWBA North west Blacksmiths
They are having a major conference but I think it is in OR this year. It next month. They have a lot to see and do and probably an excellent tailgate area with many tools to buy

Thanks I did. I think it would be wise to hold off joining until I've actually done some work and are in a better financial situation. I checked the calender for that conference and it's in Canada so I don't think I'll be going to that. There is a swap meet in Seattle though on July 23, I'll try going to that.

Well we will see you at Daves on the 23rd but the conference we are talking about is in Government Camp Oregon on the 18-21st of Aug... Its going to be the biggest hot metal event this year anyplace in the world (and I dont think that is exaggerating) The ABS and Farriers will be represented as well as 10 blacksmith groups... If you can do one thing this summer this should be it!

western states