I Forge Iron

"Stingy" works both ways

On another topic there is dialogue regarding 'smiths not sharing their knowledge freely, Well from the other side of the scenario, here in the UK since the early 1960's our Guild has been running courses at minimum cost as a non profit making organisation any profits being put towards promoting the craft.

There are some who think our courses are too cheap and therefore can't be worth going on, so enrol on more expensive 'courses', and occasionally, after asking around, later enrol for one of our courses, and are surprised when we show them things they thought they would have learnt on others 'courses' (Including college courses)

To try and make methods more easily accessible for those who "really can't afford" the fees, we answer questions over the phone or by email wherever we can, and then we introduced the iForge weekends with the view of making it even more accessible.

I don't know how they compare with your events over the other side of the pond, but we have a 'Bring and Buy' for tools, books, machinery and other 'smithing related items,
We have problem clinics where anyone who has a problem can bring it along and we will try to advise them or demonstrate a solution to their problem.
We have demonstrations of requested processes/projects and other demo items by fellow visitors and guest demonstrators to the event.
The people attending also can have forge time and tutored guidance if they have a specific requirement, or just forge time to make something they wish to.

To try and encourage people to attend, we make no charge for this, however we do have refreshments, bacon butties and a buffet lunch for which we ask for a £5 donation towards the costs.

We have decided the next Forge In to be held on August 20th and 21st will be the celebration of completing the Westpoint Forge building, we now have 6 (to 16) forges, a kitchen area, and 2 shower/toilet/washrooms and so decided to make it a Barbecue stayover weekend with free on site camping.

Because there is also another event on that weekend at the Westpoint grounds, to seperate these events for the security people, passes will be issued for those wanting to attend, And to allow for catering for the Barbecue, there will be a cost of £7.50 per person, £3.50 for children. Free BBQ for those bringing along their musical instrument for the after BBQ social.

Is this reasonable or not?

Here is one response after he registered an interest and received a pass and details in return.

I assumed iForge weekends were free. Sorry, for wasting your time.

My attitude to training is in response to the 'stingy' smiths who wouldn't pass on their knowledge when I was struggling to learn the craft (still am), but it still rankles somewhat when you show someone a particular technique, and a couple of weeks after they are advertising that technique as a course they run that will cost £XXX,

So you either grin and bear it, or become one of the "Stingy's"

However if the thought of having to make some sort of contribution be it a thank you, or other appreciative remuneration is too hard to come to terms with, then you maybe will reap what you sow.

Some people will travel hundreds of miles for the opportunity to learn, whereas others want it taking to them for free.

Rant over, Sorry.

Justifiable rant!

Much of what I have learnt over the years has been from 3rd world smiths who don't see me as a threat to their livelyhood and helped along enormously by a few $$.

All schooling costs someone something, sadly many believe society(read as OTHERS) owe them a free education.

Often just a smile and a positive attitude is paymeny enough!

John,

Your offerings are dirt cheap!(I can only state those "twits"the i could of course be substituted as and when required) :D

Ian

Just like places that want *you* to pay to set up and demo to *their* people. They don't seem to understand why we should not be happy to just give them *our* money.

Thats what I'm talkin about!

John, you have every right to rant.

Mark <><

The way we do it in the NW region of FABA(Florida Artist Blacksmith Association) is we have a public invited meeting the seconed saturday of each month. All members of FABA and their familes are included and usualy bring a covered dish. The meetings are held at a different forge each month with the owner -usually- doing some kind of demo. We also have a raffel type drawing during the meeting which is also open to the public called iron in the hat or buck in the bucket. Those who donate a hand forged item get 'X' amount of free tickets per item donated or you can buy tickets for $1.00 each. Each item is placed in or next to a small bowl, you place one ticket on the item of your choice and keep its mate. After the demo each item in turn has a ticket draw from its bowl if you have its mate, the item is yours. All procedes go into a scholarship fund that FABA has for any blacksmith who wants to attend any blacksmith class provided they meet certain requirements. After the drawing, we feast on whatever our wives or we have brought to eat and drink and then home untill the next meeting. A lot of times we dont even have to bring food because one of our guys has a grill the size of a small pickup that he hauls and he cooks while everyone else socializes.
We have recruited a lot of members this way. Any new comer or member of the public who is intrested in classes we stir toward a member of our group or one of the many schools around the States
I know this is a long post and it's mainly directed toward our brother smiths who live in other countries. Maybe this wont work where you live. Its just one way of doing things and maybe this may help.
We also find that most folks who aret really intrested just dont come back.

Thanks for that information Willis, and to you others for your comments, Most of our members are small outfits that don't have space to host get togethers, hence our use of Westpoint.

As we have only just started with the Forge ins, the numbers attending are not vast, (Up to 20 on a good day) we don't seem to have the formula to attract people yet, but we will keep trying for the sake of the loyal followers we have who want to attend and learn or trade, they usually go away with some new found tidbit of information or tooling, or perhaps a sack of coke, or something else they have needed and had difficulty sourcing.

We have had the pleasure of a couple of visitors from your side of the pond joining us on our courses, and they have always been appreciative of anything we can show them, and a pleasure to work with, just a shame we could not have more time together.

Look forward to meeting more of you in the future if you are ever nearby.

.... there will be a cost of £7.50 per person, £3.50 for children. Free BBQ for those bringing along their musical instrument for the after BBQ social....

Dang, that (including airfare from the states!) is almost cheaper than some "classes" I have taken at the local living history museum! Now to check on plane tickets!!! LOL

Hello John,

I've only just seen this as I have been up to my eyes in real life for the last two month's (Teenage daughters can be challenging at times, :rolleyes: and so can middle aged wives for that matter, :D but anyhow) I have been lucky enough to attend all the Iforge weekends that the guild have arranged and they have all been well worth the time and effort to get to. I have come away with new techniques to try, a better understanding of some of the techniques I thought I already knew and more importantly, renewed enthusiasm for the craft after each session. I have made contacts and friends, bought equipment and coke and had the chance to pick the brains of far better smith than I will ever be. It's hard to put a price on that, but I'll venture it's better than £7.50s worth even to a Yorkshireman like me :P
Book me a spot for the weekend John please, though I will have to pay, I can't sing or play an instrument if my life depended on it :D

Hello John,

I've only just seen this as I have been up to my eyes in real life for the last two month's (Teenage daughters can be challenging at times, :rolleyes: and so can middle aged wives for that matter, :D but anyhow) I have been lucky enough to attend all the Iforge weekends that the guild have arranged and they have all been well worth the time and effort to get to. I have come away with new techniques to try, a better understanding of some of the techniques I thought I already knew and more importantly, renewed enthusiasm for the craft after each session. I have made contacts and friends, bought equipment and coke and had the chance to pick the brains of far better smith than I will ever be. It's hard to put a price on that, but I'll venture it's better than £7.50s worth even to a Yorkshireman like me :P
Book me a spot for the weekend John please, though I will have to pay, I can't sing or play an instrument if my life depended on it :D

Thanks Steve, appreciate the comments.