I Forge Iron

My jury-rigged homemade forge

wooginator

I'm using a fireplace grating with a tighter, grill grating on top of it to hold the coal. The whole thing is resting on top of bricks which are on top of cinderblocks, and I'm using a fireplace blower for lack of a real blacksmith blower. It heats my steel until it's pretty bright orange, and if it's thin enough stock it'll turn yellow and start to melt. I haven't tried to forge-weld and I'm looking to try that but I'm wondering if my forge just isn't hot enough. I'm looking for advice on any changes I could make to improve it, outside the obvious like buy a better blower.

post-21684-0-69925100-1308166870_thumb.j

post-21684-0-66829500-1308166901_thumb.j

That will work!

Just a few pointers-
1. Watch the red bricks - they like to absorb water and then when heated really hot...BOOM!
2. With where you are placing the metal, your pretty close to the air source, this could actually be keeping it from reaching full heat. Add a brick or two to the front as well and use a deeper fire. You should be able to weld just fine then.

That will work!

Just a few pointers-
1. Watch the red bricks - they like to absorb water and then when heated really hot...BOOM!
2. With where you are placing the metal, your pretty close to the air source, this could actually be keeping it from reaching full heat. Add a brick or two to the front as well and use a deeper fire. You should be able to weld just fine then.

When you say front do you mean the part with the fire in it and the blower under it, or the cold end? I think you mean the cold end. And where would I put those bricks? Under the steel?

I think you mean the cold end.

Yes.

And where would I put those bricks? Under the steel?

Yes again. It looks like you might have a couple inches of fuel between your steel, and the outlet of your air tube (a.k.a. the tuyere). Shoot for more like five inches. There's no reason that rig can't get plenty hot enough to weld. (If you're melting steel, you're already exceeding welding temps.)

As someone else said, the red bricks really aren't very suitable for your purpose. Hard firebricks would be better, and they're not very expensive. I think they're like $1.25 each at my local brick yard. They're only rated for like 2000 F, but they're much more suitable than what you're using. (You can get firebricks rated for much higher temps, but they're more expensive and you may need to have them shipped.)

Could you use metal?---like most forges do? Yes. The heavier it is the longer it will last. Now firebricks do offer some insulation but in general the working area of your fire---the "hot spot" is in the center and so insulated by the rest of your fire from the sides. Firebrick also take up room making for a smaller firepot that has to be "fed".

Remember that there are *many* right ways to do things in smithing!