I Forge Iron

Is it possible to melt and cast railroad track steel?

it can be done but most likely not by you my anvil is cast iron made in some factory in China. so they are pumped out by the thousands. so yes it can be done but most likely not by you. if i absolutely had to i would legally mix a 3 to 4 ratio thermite and ignite that and have the motlen iron flow into my cast. i would not do this because not only would it be hard to mix all that any thing could go wrong. and the words thermite and oops don't mix.

(1) Cast iron is a very different material from steel, both in terms of its mechanical properties and in terms of is casting properties.

(2) Thermite generally produces close to pure iron, which would make a poor anvil. Adding alloying elements is very tricky (but not impossible). A great deal of experimentation would be required to get a useful product.

(3) There would be many problems with making and safely using a thermite charge large enough to create an anvil sized lump of ferrous material.

The thermite idea is very interesting. I once saw some appropriate technology research being done in in India which stated that thermite based reactions were the only scalable method of providing tool steel in poor rural areas. Of course, the researcher was familiar with puddling, Bessemer and blistering processes. Unfortunately, his report cost more rupees than I was willing to spend.

Interesting concept, nonetheless.

Poor, rural areas in India can get or make meaningful quantities of powdered aluminum, but they don't have leaf springs?

In any event, please don't feed the troll. Thermite is not a practical one-off method by which an inexperienced person can produce a useful 130 kg anvil. There many problems with this idea. We're talking about a 600+ pound thermite burn. Just think about that a bit.

• 9 years later...

Thermite, even in small quantities is VERY dangerous stuff.  Not only does it burn at up to 2500 degrees C, it is very hard to put out once ignited.  It is nothing to mess about with. Be afraid, be very afraid, particularly of internet instructions on how to make this stuff. 

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

4 hours ago, George N. M. said:

it is very hard to put out once ignited. 

Kind of an understatement, does the reaction not create its own oxygen? So the only way to stop the reaction is either wait or remove the heat (good luck doing that)

Are we resurrecting this thread for funsies? The most recent date stamp is 2011. 

Yes, the iron oxide supplies the oxygen to the aluminum and is itself then reduced into relatively pure iron hot enough to burn holes in whatever it's on. I can only imagine a 600+lb. thermite burn, be something to watch through a telescope from half a mile or so. I would be interested in how deep it would vitrify dry sand. I don't know how you'd calculate the silica that was outright vaporized though. Weigh a sand dune before and after?

If a burn that size were attempted by someone who'd "researched" it watching a youtube video I don't think 1/2 mile would be far enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just once, I'd love to see a post that said, "Hey, just wondering guys, if anyone knew if it was possible to get with a reputable foundry and for $30,000 or so and cast a small run of double horn anvils using H-13 or some other air hardening steel.  If I could participate in some small way outside of design, that would be fantastic!"

Instead, it's always, "Hi guys, I saw a YouTube video, and I was just wondering how to go about melting the souls of my enemies, unicorn tears, and some rebar by buddy Joe gave me into a useable three bladed sword made of Valerian steel using a Balrog and two salamanders.  Could you please hurry?  The Balrog is getting hungry, and ate one of the salamanders.  If that doesn't work, I've got a popcorn tin casting furnace made of cement and as fuel, a mix of fulminated mercury and potassium cyanide.  Has anybody else tried this?"

Response - "Hi, Welcome to IFI.  Thank you for your interest and could you please post your location?  What you're doing is illegal and moderately dangerous to the entire state of Nevada, and you may want to take this minor and cheap safety precaution, like approaching Balrogs only in the presence of Gandalf the Grey, or wearing safety goggles."

"Nah, I'm good, I've rethought the whole thing.  I saw another video by the **** that said you can use plaster of paris and ANFO instead."

I would bet that both the age and experience level, not to mention any discernable instinct of self preservation, of the balrog herders are both pretty low. That is one of disadvantages of Youtube, there is no filter or any safety warnings.  Any darn fool can post anything.  I sometimes wonder how many attempts at producing a youtube video have ended in disaster.

The person in Nemo's example will probably get his salamander back since, traditionally, salamanders are fireproof.  I don't know the digestive cycle of balrogs but this, too, shall pass.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I would not advise a telescope from even 1/2 mile as I remember the guy using thermite to alloy steel over at Sword Forum International (not present anymore) who stopped suddenly when he was told he was going blind even with the high grade protective equipment he was using!

Someone posted a link to a video of his, he was watching from maybe 30' away and wasn't flipping his welding shield down before the video camera was washed out by the flare.

The inverse cube law says my spotting scope won't pick up enough energy to do damage before the entire anvil casting experiment heads for orbit and I can watch the tracers without visual enhancement. 

Really HOT chili peppers demand Silvadene infused wet wipes. I hear an aloe vera high colonic doesn't do it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Nemo get's my "this week's Best Friday Post" nomination!    (Though did you try fluxing with the bones of your enemies? I did try some experiments with bone meal and blood meal about 35 years ago...)

I thought about playing with bone meal as a flux or to play with old style case hardening...and then I remembered what it smelled like whenever I heated up bone or antler for burn ins, to drill pin holes, or to cut it down for handles.  Smelled like burnt hair run through a full litter box in a crowded chicken coop in August.

You know you can buy bone black it's a paint and ink pigment. Or you could buy graphite, art supplies carry it in the paint section. 

PPE against bone or ivory dust!! It's bad stuff it can kill you eventually and you'll be in miserable pain the whole time. I've lost two Alaskan Native friends to it. Carvers and scrimners, both of them: Ivory, bone and antler though it may have been the jade that got one of them.

Good respirators are soo inexpensive and the discomfort of wearing them is nothing compared to dieing of any mesothelioma type lung disease.

Frosty The Lucky.