I Forge Iron

The bridge to nowhere

I do agree with you on the stick O&R, as long as you keep your lo-hi dry it will serve you well, but the boss always looks at the deposition rate and that is all they think about. And I can run 10 inches of weld with no starts and stops, I could run 30 inches as well if I had a piece that long, I do like stick it does separate the men from the boys when it comes to welding there is allot more that goes into control with stick.- angle, arc length, motion

• 2 weeks later...

A little follow up on this project- it is almost ready to ship out, I got back on the portable welder and yes I am stupid I was running the wrong polarity and that is what was causing the poor results, I changed polarity the wire feeder needs to hook to the ground side (duh) and I got this thing welding like a dream.
Thanks for the help HW and I will take some more pictures of the finished product and the installation hopefully

We got the other two trusses out of the shop this past week and laid them down. I got to looking at the other welders work and realized that his welds need to be gone over and cleaned up a bit, I found slag inclusions, undercut, lack of fill- you name it. So I got him out there to clean up his mess and he got one of them done before a trip to the office and a lay-off check. So now I get to go over the other truss now. I am waiting on an answer from the engineer regarding the brackets that hold the glue lams. The glue lams that land where the cross bracing meets the bottom of the truss get bolted into the ones on either side as the will hit the cross bracing and need to be cut shorter. Well at each end of the truss you only have one side to bolt to there is nothing on the other side to attach to.
Here are a few pictures of where it is now, this has been a good project for me, when the boss leaves me alone I can get things done, I think he gets that now he stays away more and lets me call the shots.
post-10376-0-18231800-1309613026_thumb.jpost-10376-0-61937700-1309613074_thumb.jpost-10376-0-10824900-1309613081_thumb.jpost-10376-0-24964700-1309613087_thumb.jpost-10376-0-95672400-1309613093_thumb.jpost-10376-0-71285900-1309613100_thumb.j

Clinton, you did good. Tell us about the raise you are gonna get. Don't tell the boss about CN needing truss bridges, the shop is too small. Too me, seeing an industrial enterprise where old cars are stored under ragged tarps, is just not the professional image I would want to cultivate. It is nearly as bad as having stolen shopping carts on the property.

Thanks O&R- I do feel that I should be getting better wages, I want to see what kind of profit he gets on this job and hopefully he will be inclined to give me the raise.
We share the lot with an auto repair shop and limo service our shop is in the middle, there are boats and RV's and cars stored all over the property

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, you have my abject sympathy. Here in Oregon, if you need 5 millwrights, welders, fabricators you need to hire 10. 2 won't show up, 2 will be fired by noon and 1 won't come back from lunch. They weld 7018 in the pouring rain. Oven? What oven? Most MIG is solid wire. .045 or 1/16 and it will rust between starting time and lunch. As far as fitting goes forget it. There will be no gap at the bottom of a vertical and 1/2 at the top.
Pipe welds fail continually because of poor fit ups.
Do you need any help?
Good luck

I hope we get some answers this week on the next structural job, just doing hand rails and misc fab work now. We have a balcony to build and some moment frames and other structural but the engineer is stalled out, waiting on a green light to build

Yes the time goes quickly when you are going full speed ianinsa- and I guess the owner wants to keep me around and I will stay until I get laid off or find work that pays better. I just hope the structural jobs start soon- I do not consider myself to be a great fabricator- I can do it but I prefer to work with the heavy iron.

Yes the time goes quickly when you are going full speed ianinsa- and I guess the owner wants to keep me around and I will stay until I get laid off or find work that pays better. I just hope the structural jobs start soon- I do not consider myself to be a great fabricator- I can do it but I prefer to work with the heavy iron.

I understand likeing to work with heavier iron. Where I used to worked they worked on a wide range of items from 28 GA stainless to 2" plate. If you could not pick it up with a crane or hit it with a sledge hammer, I did not always enjoy the job

I am glad you survived the experience, and hope you get a raise. I am agreeing with HWH on liking heavier iron. In my ex- profession (pipe welding) no one expected a man to pick up a twenty foot 6" pipe. But not so on smaller sizes 4", 3", 2", no cherry picker. Hump or go home.

It looks like this may be my last week at this job, I got a call to go build a computer floor for a company that I worked for in the past. Twice the pay plus benefits = parade wave out of there