I Forge Iron

Transportation Museum

GregDP

I've been lucky enough to have scheduled demonstration gig at the Transportation Museum next month. I've been nervous about working with the public but I'm hoping it goes well for me. I want to have some relative things to talk about with folks. I started researching the model T but haven't found out much about how the front axle was drop forged. I've familiarized myself with the parts to horse drawn buggies and have a few examples of the sort of work that went into manufacturing a buggy along with photos highlighting aspects like joining and tapering. I hope to be able to answer questions regarding the process of moving metal. I'd like to talk as time allows about the historical roll in the community a blacksmith served. The roll blacksmithing played in the industrial revolution. How that roll led to modern manufacturing techniques and finally it's resurgence in popularity today as an art. I would love to offer a chance for folks to step up and swing a hammer but neither of our insurances would cover that! Instead I'll have some registration cards for NCABANA and educational stuffs. If anyone would like some of the buggy resources posted I'd be happy to help out. The demonstration fee I'm charging doesn't even cover gas for the two and a half hour drive. I'm hoping it's busy and my vendor table/tip jar makes up for the night I'll be sleeping in the truck loaded up with a forge, anvil and tools.

What other points could I touch on involving transportation? (trains, cars, ect) My problem lies in knowing how to relate what people are there to see (Transportation) with what they're getting (A hot air filled metal worker and blacksmith).

I would like to have enough stock to spend most of my time at the anvil explaining simple things like why you use the crosspein first with clay then with steel.

Any other ideas that may be helpful to a newbie who's only attended a few public demonstrations himself? Thank you - Greg D. Price Jr.

ok blacksmithing and transport is easy there were (and probably still are ) blacksmiths working for the railroad and before that makeing tires and iron parts for wagons ... also model ford model T was repaired by blacksmiths ( in fact the magazines from the time talk about the growing automotive repair work) as far as demo goes most people wont sit still for more than a few minutes at most so you need a patter for that much time ... i can talk for hours to people about the history but most wont stick around that long...good luck!

I have found too much info is not always good. People like to SEE someting being done. But if you can forge and talk at the same time even better. Explain what you are doing but try not to be too technical, if their eyes start to glaze over you need to move on. :P I enjoy demoing and try to not only educate but entertain. Small bits of facts sprinkeled here and there will be better recieved. Of course, as always, your mileage may vary....Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

What ever you decide, try you keep it short. In school being taught for teaching, I was told you need to change subject matter up every 9 min., which is the average attention span for a person. After that you lose them.

Some very good advice. I'm currently reading a few books in preparation.

Please don't click unless you're on a super high speed connection but a picture is often worth a thousand words. How many are in this one?!? :lol:
th_funny.jpg

I want to represent the community in a positive and professional manner so I'm bringing far less tools than I actually use. I hope to show a bit of authenticity through my dress and a feather in my cap. Probably literally.. Question I've never owned a leather apron. A I've seen a lot of demonstrators wearing them. Is this a safety sort of thing or keep your clothes clean sort of thing. I know when dealing with the public other safety gear is a positive thing. I know where to buy one for a cheap price. I don't wanna look just like a green horn in my new apron I'd have to eat nothing but instant noodles for a month so I could buy.. Just to keep my clothes clean. - Thanks

Please don't click unless you're on a super high speed connection but a picture is often worth a thousand words. How many are in this one?!? :lol:
th_funny.jpg

I want to represent the community in a positive and professional manner so I'm bringing far less tools than I actually use. I hope to show a bit of authenticity through my dress and a feather in my cap. Probably literally.. Question I've never owned a leather apron. A I've seen a lot of demonstrators wearing them. Is this a safety sort of thing or keep your clothes clean sort of thing. I know when dealing with the public other safety gear is a positive thing. I know where to buy one for a cheap price. I don't wanna look just like a green horn in my new apron I'd have to eat nothing but instant noodles for a month so I could buy.. Just to keep my clothes clean. - Thanks

First of all do not over think it. you can pickup a apron at harbor freight cheep. It will get dirty quick. Hooks, twist, bottle opener. The more things you can do well the better. slit and drift and animal heads keeps there attention and before the day ends get a train ride that in it self is worth the trip. Make the engineer of the steam locomotive a knife and get to shovel coal for a run opportunity of a life time. And I saw your pictures on face book the clips under your work bench great steel for tools and knives. They should have a stock pile they should let you rummage through. Ask to see the scrap pile great connection. http://www.metalwebnews.org/ftp/blacksmith-practice.pdf here is an other book for your to read it will help a lot

Think of the HF apron as a starter kit. It has too many pockets, and in the wrong place, that will just fill up with scale. Get one and cut the low pocket threads and rivets. If it's really hot, fold it over and just wear it around your waist. You don't normally need chest coverage unless forge welding, or doing work with large stock, which are both no-no's at a family friendly venue.

Have some progress pieces, showing the steps. Do really short demos, that are easily within your skill level. Experiment in private.

Have some patter and facts that are planned, but not canned. Maybe some outlines on 3x5 cards, but don't try to memorize a speech.

Unfortunately, the RR blacksmith shop, and all the neat tools and scrap, has been gone for decades. But the old guys that rebuild and maintain the locomotives in the roundhouse repair shop are great to talk to. They have forgotten more about metalwork than most of us will ever know.

th_funny.jpg

I wear bib overalls for everthing I do. I only put on a leather apron on for heavy grinding.