I Forge Iron

looking to switch

joshua.M

I am thinking of changing my main forge from coal to propane because coal is getting harder and harder to get and hetting more and more expensive. So i need advice on propane forges, i found one i think i like http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/2_burner_blacksmith.html so i need to know thebasics on how to use one, from lighting to whent to put in the steel and how i should mount it.
thanks
Josh

I use a plumber's torch on my gas forge. I put the flame in, then turn the gas on. I put my steel in the cold forge, but it really doesn't start heating till the box is radiant. Radiant energy is the method of energy transfer in a gas forge unlike solid fuel which is conduction.

I set my forge on a steel table top.

Phil

Ya , I use a plumbers torch with a piazo lighter. Daimond Back Forges are great, you might also look at Chile Forges to. Both great forges, I don't recomend on over the other. Its more a choice based on the work you want to do....

I have bought a Diablo burner from Chile Forge and made my own forge. Pretty simple to do if you have the equipment. All you really need to get started is a piece of pipe 8,10 or 12 inch dia. 8 to 10 inche long, a 2" piece of sch 40 2" pipe some 1 inch Kaowool, 2ft of 4 inch angle and a few fire bricks. You can get fancy but this is the basics and will work well. The hardest part building one for most has been the burner. The Diablo is set up to be removeable, so you can use it as a torch or make differnt forges to put it in to. Very versitale. Something to think about!