I Forge Iron

Seen one before?

A good friend of mine gave this to me, said that I would know what it was and how it was used...well, it really has me stumped! You can see in the picture that it can be changed to be straight lined. Yes, I did figure that out and tried it and it looks pretty much like any other old wrench. I just would like to know what it's real purpose was for being made like this. It does have something stamped in the top jaw but it is too pitted to see it, even with a magnifying glass. Any ideas?

OK!!!!! HOW THE HECK DO YOU ADD A PICTURE TO A POSt???!!!!??!?!?!?!?!!? I HATE this "new-improved" format! It is ridiculously crazy to post pictures to. I would love to just delete the entire post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry folks for that little "fit". I'm leaving that part up so the rest of the posts makes sense. I just hope the picture comes up this time. :(

post-249-0-22929600-1306116948_thumb.jpg

I am using the simple attachment (non-flash uploader), since this is a machine that flash doesn't work on. You can select that from the USER CP general settings by unselecting "enable flash uploader"

There is a line in the full editor that says "attachments" then a text box followed by "browse..." and "clear selection" with a button "attach this file" directly below.

Hit browse, it should launch a file window that you can find your image in. Select the desired file and then hit "Open" in the file window. The image name (preceded by its path) will be in the text box. Hit "attach this file" and it is uploaded.

This works great for a couple files at a time, The flash uploader works better if your computer supports it properly (mine doesn't)

Phil

Ok, I'm calmed down now... I did use the "browse" and selected my pic., bet I 'assumed' (yea, I know, I know) that if you were doing that it would atomaticly attach your pic/file. I'll try it again.

BTW, Thank you all for your tips. It's just kinda frustrating...well, you got the idea.

With posting photos, the big issue becomes the size of the image. MEGS and MEGS of image take a long time to upload and process. The image size makes it only available to those with fast modems otherwise it locks up their system while they wait for the download. In one post tonight I edited 12 images which were 40 megs total in size, to less than 600K.

640 x 480 x 72 is plenty of resolution for the internet. Anything above 800 x 600 alters the site format and creates the need to scroll to see the entire image.

When you post, click on CLICK TO ATTACH FILES, then browse your hard drive, locate and highlight your image, and click OPEN to attach the image to the post. Repeat as needed for more images. Be sure and click submit or add reply when you are finished to save the text and images.

If you use an outside photo source, when the images is deleted or moved from that source, the image is also deleted on IForgeIron. This leaves information lost to the site, and the post in some instances, makes no sense at all.

I am thinking it is on the same thought as the pipe wrenches with the offset heads on them, just to be able to get a bite on a nut in a situation where a straight handle would not work so well.

That's all. An offset option for when you need one.

There was an enormous burst of creativity in America after the Civil War with tons of, sometimes quite odd, specialized tools getting thought up and built---most of which did not stand "the test of time". They sure look strange when you run across one though.

Of course I was just showing my propane dealer my tyrannosaurus wrench---It's an open end wrench that fits the propane fitting on my gasser where I have forged the other end's jaws closed and carved it into a head and mounted small red beads in the eyes...I always know *which* wrench is the right one and which end is the correct one and even my students can't make a mistake! OTOH what will someone in the future think when they come across it in a pile of junk?

Found the patent on this little darling! Appied for on June 9, 1900, patented May 21, 1901.Also, from another site it says it is the first multi-tool to have a patent. Wish I had all of it. Here is the link to the patent http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?set=1 I thought it was pretty cool. Thanks for the comments.
Oh, and CurlyGeorge...I don't think I have that kind of power :P

• 2 weeks later...

What you have is called a spanner. It is used to turn old fashend nuts and bolts that have a square head. I have one not quite as elaborate as yours mine doesn't have the pivoting head.