I Forge Iron

Sean Conner Memorial (Now with photo's)

Steve Sells

Glenn and I have talked a bit about the Australian tree project, and how we can use the same general idea for Sean, others seem to want to know more, so here it is:

If you can make leaf, or a flower of any kind, then please do with a stem at least 4 inches or longer. The type of leaf or flower does not matter. Just include your name, address, and screen name attached to each leaf or flower so we can keep track of the submission.

Send them in and we will make a ever-lasting bouquet for the Conner family. Final design will depend on how many leaves, flowers, and such get sent it, I offered to deal with the collection and assembly of these, as Glenn is too busy to do it, also my wife works for a trucking company with a terminal close enough to Glenn's place, to get it delivered easily.

We would like final delivery to the address below before the end of August. Sean's birthday was 28th of September. We are going to try assemble and deliver the finished product at that time.

Thanks for all that have offered to assist in this.

Steve, I believe that you are right on target.

For the past few years I have not come up with a good enough reason that was more meaningful to me than the ongoing pain of arthritic knees, hands, and fingers to start up my forge.
But this touching event won out. It ignited a compassionate spot in my heart, and so I will re-ignite a fire in my forge for this special project.

The light came on as I read your post.
I realized that your proposal is an excellent way (vehicle) that I, as well as many others may be able to express what the intent of our hearts want to say, but lack the vocabulary to express.

Many times I have found that ACTION speaks louder than words. In this situation I believe meaningful action via forging (that we are capable of putting into practice with our forges) will express exactly what we wish we could say with words.[
I believe that the use of Steel, Fire, Skill, Sweat, Muscle, and Passion will communicate what many of us are feeling right now.

Although it goes without saying, “I give my sincere condolences to Glenn, his Wife, and Family”.
I also extend my condolences to the Blacksmithing Community that has been so deeply touched.

Ted Throckmorton

Steve , got a few of the AUSSIE'S lined up ta make leaves and / or flowers too mate

Next week at MOONY'S the 6 of us " Andy , Denise , Ian , MOONY , Sean & myself " will see what we can knock out under 1 of MOONY'S power hammers .

Any other AUSSIE who wants ta add ta this " PM " me & i'll get you my snail mail addy so you can send to me , i'll then forward it onta Steve

Dale Russell

I will need the end clean to weld them, so a varnish or paint or heat color patina may be an issue, maybe not... but a light coating of oil over all, is fine to prevent flash rust, as I will clean up the attachment points as I go along.

Thanks everyone that has posted so far.

Not really if people use Stainless I will either have to find a person to weld it for me, Or I will have to buy a bottle of tri-gas and use my mig, Most likely I will just gas weld it all anyway

I just received a note asking about the designs for matching leaves, and flowers and such. So i though t I should elaborate.

While the OZ project was a gum tree. This is a bouquet. So we want diversity let your skills shine, be it any leaf or even a flower. All will be used, this is a collection of what IFI has to offer the Conner family! First timers dont be afraid, Please send what you can make, all is appreciated.

Life size of whatever chosen may be best, so all can match up closer to the others, but the important part is to do what you feel you can offer. It was also suggested if there are any extra leaves, they could be made into a wreath or flower vase...

Nothing will be unused. there are lurkers from my local smithing group, that while also members of IFI, rarely or never post, but I bet they may assist me in assembly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got some forge time today. I like my "new" firepot and grate. I made 2 simple leaves, left about 2 inches of stem on them. Are you able to pickle them, or should I see to that before shipping?

Phil

Nevermind, I found my container of vinegar. They should be done pickling tomorrow. I'll ship them early next week.
Phil

Steve , ta go inta the post next week from downunder

Strine ( aka ) leaf machine ... small branch with 3 Stainless Steel " gum leaves " & 2 " gum nuts "

Jack Smith ( aka ) Andy Jagger ... 1 Mild Steel Russian Rose

Me ... 4 Stainless Steel leaves ( left overs i had from the Tree Project ) ( wish i could make some new 1's , but shoulder wont let me .. or wife )

Dale Russell

P.S . i'll bung in those " other " items as well

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to get started in a few weeks with the assembly, so far I do not have as much as we were expecting, IF those of you can get your things sent out soon we would be grateful.

ALSO anyone planing to send anything that has not already.... please PM me and let me know what you have to send, and how many. Because its hard to arrange flowers before I know how many Ii have to work with, and I cant do much with what I already have here, without leaving enough space for the future additions coming.

Thank you.