I Forge Iron

making a hardie

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I haven't found it. I'm just starting out and was needing to make a hot cut hardie, but cant readily find 1" to make it with. Is is possible to forge weld 1/4" up to the 1" needed to make these? Has anyone done this? I would prefer to make it as opposed to buying so that I can gain the experience and better fit for my anvil. Any and all input on this and any other information for this newbie is appreciated.

A hot cut hardie can be easily made by cutting a section of angle iron. You can find a piece of flat bar that fits diagonally in the hardie hole and drill and bolt it to the angle iron.. Now tough the top edge of the angle iron with a grinder.This will put the hot cut on a diagonal, but that is useful for many things.

look for broken used jack hammer bits ... good steel and already have a shoulder built in will tale a bit of forgeing to get um into shape but they work well and last!for a hot cut just forge to shape an leave it to cool you dont have to harden as you usually heat it too much cutting anyway ..good luck!

A piece of leaf spring can work, just upset the edge in to get it to set diagonal in the hardy. You can taper it and it can fit a number of different anvils. It will tend to jam with use, but will pop free easily with a sideways tap.

Full heat treatment is optional, normalize it and use it.

Phil

Yes it is possible to weld up smaller stock into larger. However this is generally a very advanced technique. If you are just starting it's sort of like asking if brain surgery is possible and then intending to do it if the answer is yes.

There are a lot of different ways to make hardies from different scrounged materials depending on your tools and skills. Welding a piece of square steel tubing onto something using an arc welder is often done to get the stem.

Finding large leafspring---like from a truck repair facility and then cutting/forging it to fit your hardy hole works. Old brick Chisels can be modified---forging the handle down to fit into a piece of square tubing helps too

Bed rail angle iron is often a higher carbon steel and can be used as hardy material

I used a hunk off of an old lawnmower blade I got for free by asking the guys at the local small engine repair place. Hacked a hunk off and welded it to a hunk of angle that more or less fit in the hole. Has worked great.

Well I have some old leaf springs off of an old 4X4 blazer so I think I'll go that route for now. One of the reasons I was wondering though, is to see if the investment in time to work strictly on that would be worth it or as they say "just chasing my own tail" because it wasn't something that would work very well. Thank you for all of your inputs and opinions. It's great to have found a place with people that are so willing to help someone that is new.