I Forge Iron

Having a better time of it.

I did this pen holder the first time I went into the forge after I was having the problems I posted about earlier. I forged it from a piece of 3/4" round I found next to my vice table. It must have fallen off at some point and gotten covered (dirt floor). Either way, it didn't come from the same stock that was cold shunting on my before. A simple taper, twisted. I then drilled it out for the nib. It's only 5" long, I made one that was normal length, but that makes the balance off.

I also made a hook on commission, one of a pair for a piece of antique farm equipment that's hanging in the customer's home. I'm making both out of an old wheel rim from a piece of farm equipment I found on my property (I thought it was fitting). No problems with that, either.

1496.attach

Thanks

I got that particular nib from the local Michael's craft store, but Speedball brand calligraphy nibs are widely avaliable at art supply stores. I find they take a bit of practice to get a crisp line, more than Leonardt nibs, but they do work pretty well. I've been using Higgins calligraphy ink lately, it's a bit better than the Calli ink I was using before.

I did the calligraphy that the pen is resting on, with a nib size down from the one in the pen holder, a few months ago. It's from the opening of "The Hobbit," I was doing some practice pages in preparation for a larger project.