I Forge Iron

grades of wrought iron?

I have recently been consolidating my own bloomery iron and was wondering what the old quality grades of wrought iron were and if there are any sources for what they meant in quality terms and number of folds etc
all the best Owen

Yes there were: Bloom, Muck Bar, Merchant Bar, Singly Refined, Doubly Refined, Triply Refined.

However there was not a "standard" for these as the stacking would vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, (they were not folded but cut and stacked in a production facility!)

The old books mention testing *every* new iron shipment to see what you really had. You would get a feel for how each supplier graded their iron.

Now in the very old days they probably didn't use such categorizations but would work out the specifications as part of the deal for the iron.

They most likely mean whatever the manufacturer *wanted* them to mean!

Read "Mechanics Exercises" by Moxon; published 1703, you tested every single load of iron you got and never expected two in a row to be the same even from the same manufacturer. (though he gives general expectations for the iron from various countries) Even in the 1880's and 1890's testing your metal was a part of the job---(Practical Blacksmithing, Richardson)

I'll ask over on the Archeological Metallurgy mailing list if anyone knows of export or import codifications of standards in the historical record.

• 8 years later...