I Forge Iron

Shop setup question

I finally got around to siding up my smithy today. Next step is electrical and workbenches. I'm planning on mounting my 6" grinder and 8" buffer on individual 6x6 post. They will be sunk in the earth approx. 36" with bolts ran through them and planted with cement. Does anyone see a problem with this setup idea?
Kevin

Way overkill for bench grinders and buffers. A simple bench or pedestal mount would be much more practical. I don't believe you will be benefitted by putting that much effort into mounting equipment such as that permanently. As your tools and equipment inventory grows it would be beneficial to be able to easily rearrange things. However you forge, large anvils, post vise, power hammers, etc. should be placed with alot of thought and forsight.

I have put a lot of thought into it. Mine is a dirt floor so rearranging won't be a difficult thing later. It's a lean to attached to my other shop measuring at approx. 20'x15'. I'm aranging everything in a counter clockwise method. As you enter, the forge is on the right. The anvil, post vise and powerhammer will be arranged in a cresent shape around the forge. Along the right wall will be post mounted grinder and buffer. Along the back wall will be a full length work bench for drill press and the likes. Down the left wall will be another bench, sink and finishing the wall space with a woodworking table.
I havent built the powerhammer or 2x72 grinder I want yet, but I've allowed lots of space for them. I'll post pictures when I'm finished. I'll need someone to post them for me since my phone won't allow me to post pictures on here. Thanks for the replies.

Hope ya like em where ya plant em! It you have Thoroughly thought out where you want your equipment then go for it. but seems a little overkill for a grinder and buffer. Congrats on closing in your shop!

I do tend to overkill everything I build. I figured it would be unique as well as eliminate the need for a bench along that wall. That allows me to store metal in a rack the full 20' run. I'm going to avoid having much around the buffer since I hear all the horror stories of parts taking flight!

That's exactly why I'm arranging it like I described above. Sort of in a assembly line fashion. Of course you can't set the shop up to have everything in order for any future project. I'm setting it up similar to many drawings blacksmith floor plans I've seen on the internet.

I do tend to overkill everything I build. I figured it would be unique as well as eliminate the need for a bench along that wall. That allows me to store metal in a rack the full 20' run. I'm going to avoid having much around the buffer since I hear all the horror stories of parts taking flight!

I cut the metal in ten feet lenghts and stand it along the wall. Each dimension has its own open hook so they neither mix nor fall even standing straight.

The only thing I tied down in my shop is the treadle hammer (it was walking all over). The anvils are on heavy stumps. The leg vises and swage block are on heavy (but movable) stands. I move things to suit a job but things don't move often.

I've got 2 grinders, 1 on a large flywheel, the other an old 3 phase w/ 12" wheels. I used to have it bolted down but rearranged and just set it in a spot. It never moves as it is very heavy. The 1 ph has 8" wheels and it moves around a little. My power hammer is anchor bolted down as is my anvil stand, the treadle hammer is chained and not used much, the Hossfeld is anchored.
JA

Grinders put out a lot of crud that you would prefer to not be near the buffer or any other motor that has open windings.

My grinders will be in the "dirty shop" and my buffers will be in the "clean shop"

My shop is just one room so, I'm going to rethink the buffer location. Thanks.

I've mounted my grinders on large truck brake drums, they don't move or vibrate but can be moved if they have to be.
Even better on dirt and I'm sure that rusting underneath would'nt be a promlem for a couple of life times!
Graeme

I made a moveable grinder pedstal from a steel car wheel rim and a piece of 4" pipe, I welded a plate across the bolt circle and welded the pipe to that, plumb straight up, then filled the wheel rim with redi-mix cement for mass and weight. After it set, I then cut off the pipe to a convient height, and welded the plate I bolt the grinder to. Ugly and cheap, redneck engineering!

Put an exhaust fan and hood or ducts to the outside behind your polishing set up, they produce so much dirt and lint it will dirty your whole shop. I never knew how much until I started polishing silver and copper. I do it outside of the garage now on a rolling bench. Preferably on a windy day :blink:

Grinders put out a lot of crud that you would prefer to not be near the buffer or any other motor that has open windings.

I used to have problems with this too. I picked up a bundle of ladies nylon stockings at the thrift store & cut them to fit over my motors. The nylon fabric won't obstruct airflow, but it does keep gunk out of the motors.

I keep my buffer wheels well covered when not in use.