I Forge Iron

dumb coke question, but I gotta ask

jgourlay

Have you looked at the bloke on ebay Dave? He sells by the half tonne and tonne. Me and Sean took a half tonne off him a couple of weeks ago. Only hassle was the communications. He uses a courier so there was a gap where we didn't know if it had been dispatched. Walnut sized ( 'pea' grade I guess?) stuff. Not bad at all, I'm getting a good two or three hours of heat at least before I need to clear it out. Wasn't too dusty either, certainly of a similar quality to the lot another Smith I know is using. Came stacked on a pallet so was easy to put in place next to the forge building. Biggest difference was the price.

Ebay Item number: 350189825458,

Edited by Ian

Here in OZ we could get gasworks coke once upon a time, I still have about 5 tons of the stuff but we don't use it much anymore (furnaces are quicker). We used to have to crush it and screen it before use as it was coconut size rather than wallnut size and full of fines. We could also get steelworks coke when newcastle steelworks was still operating, that would clinker heavily, was very hard and dirty, as it was made for a purpose, supporting a charge of iron ore, flux etc in a blast furnace. The gasworks coke was the best coke that we could get around here though. Clinker will also tend to stick to steel as it approaches welding temperature.

Clinker is hard, shiny and glassy when cool. When hot it is gummy and almost sticky. When green coal has burned down to pure coke, it is light, almost fluffy in texture. If you can crush it into powder between your fingers its coke. A periodic poke into the bottom of your firepot should remove clinker as needed. I scoop it out and have a tub that it goes into next to the forge. I burn such crap coal that I have lots of it.

• 1 month later...