I Forge Iron

hay budden help

Howdy from East TEXAS!! Can't see the number in the first pic. Will need that to date your anvil. Condition looks pretty ruff on the far side in picture 2 but the near side looks fairly good. Also the hardie hole looks as though the previous owner used it to shape his horse shoes, the edges of the H hole look to be beaten down. This is a farrier's anvil with the clip on the side. Get us the Serial number and we can tell you when she was born.

Correct, under the horn and on the left side. If you have a grinder with a wire wheel that would help clean it up. The numbers are stamped into the foot, I have taken a rag with a little bit of wax on it and lightly rub it over the area, do not rub hard as this will get the wax into the markings. Doing this the numbers will show through pretty good.

Many people used to test the temper of chisels using the side/base of an anvil---kinda funny as that area is usually pretty dead soft!

Just be glad they didn't do it on the face!

Hand stamping of generally HOT anvils makes for quite a bit of strangeness in numbers or letters on anvils.

Note that your anvil will work just the same even if you don't know what *century* it was made in. Don't get hung up on it!

Perhaps that first number is an A, I hope that helps. (if it is an A memory tells me I read somewhere it's older than 1917-1918 but not by much, I think it was about then they started the serials over but keep in mind this is all hearsay)

I have a similar anvil dating from 1901. Mine weighs 140 pounds which is stamped in the waist, same side as the clip horn. This is a period of time when I think that Hay-Budden was experimenting with the farrier pattern. They got rid of the cutting table which adjoins the step, and they added the clip horn. As the farriers' pattern further evolved, the horn became "swelled." It was larger around at its base than the anvil waist was wide. This was supposed to facilitate opening shoes. Then, H-B added another pritchel hole, apparently thinking that the shoe chould be pritcheled with less chance of the shoe falling off the anvil.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Perhaps that first number is an A, I hope that helps. (if it is an A memory tells me I read somewhere it's older than 1917-1918 but not by much, I think it was about then they started the serials over but keep in mind this is all hearsay)

The A prefex started in 1918 and used till the end in 1925. AIA pg 303
Ken.