I Forge Iron

Metalworking Merit Badge

For any/all smiths that have taught/been involved in the Boy Scout Metalworking merit badge!

I've just registered to be a councilor, and I'm scrounging for project ideas and general tips for having the sessions go smoothly. Since I have a small smithy, I'll only be teaching pairs, or at most, groups of three.

Most of the requirements are a breeze, but I was wondering about a few....

Req. 3g: Obtaining hands-on practice. Using 'tin' cans, learn to use the basic metalworking tools and techniques by making at least two tasteful objects that require cutting, bending and edging.

Suggestions?

Also, I'm having a hard time nailing down specifics for blacksmith apprenticeships. I've heard that there's something like a guild that's still around, and every once in a while I hear about so-and-so's "journeyman test", but other than that I'm really only chasing the wind. Are there eligibility requirements to become a smith's apprentice? Does it vary from state to state, or smith to smith, or a combination of the two?

Any help is help greatly appreciated. Carpe Malleum!

When I have done it we do 2 projects the first is a cross using a rivet to to hold the two parts together about 8" and a 6" piece pre drilled or use a whitney punch. The second is a stake turner they have to draw a long taper make a U and 90 and a twist Then I let them make there own handle I have several examples for the less creative ones. Also I give them time to work the ends of there crosses as an open forge I have examples of fishtail scrolls and tapered points and split and scrolled flat . The big thing is make a test on the reading part of the book I find the boys do not take the time to read the book. Playing with copper wire is good as well work hardening. Keep a piece of steel hot and make a dragon head or a knife

There are tons of tin can projects, Google should pull a few up.

I have an old book by Hunt that showed candle lanterns, drinking cups, camp stoves, ladles, scoops, etc. Tin cans of all sizes, and shapes were used. I would think that a pierced design on a tin can lantern would make a nice gift for the Scouts mom. Make some feet for it, a handle or bail, and a decorative lid to set on it.

Depending I guess on how old the boys are, they could make a fire striker. You could teach them how to make char cloth, get some flint, blacksmith the strikers and presto, outdoor survival kit in the making......Perfect for the Boy Scouts. You would also need some jute and a good tin can with a lid to hold the contents of the kit.

I helped my youngest son through this one. If I remember correctly the tin can deal is one of several options available. We stuck to the forged work. He made a simple sconce and an "S" hook with a twist. Maybe something else, it's been a good while.The down side was none of the other boys were interested, I would have thought all kids like to play with fire and mash stuff. ;)

I picked up a book some years back entitled "Modern Metalcraft" by John L. Feirer that was published in 1946 when that sort of thing was still being taught in schools. It might be ideal for projects such as you are seeking. Without typing in the whole index, it includes things like drilling & punching, using cold chisels to cut metal, filing, bending sheet metal, scrolls, twists, annealing, raising, fluting, flaring, doming, planishing, tapping, chasing, etching,seam work, soldering, cutting threads, and treatment of surfaces for finishing. It was written as a text and is full of simple projects like metal lamp shades, ash trays (remember when they used to smoke?), monograms, shallow dishes, flower pot holders, and many, many more. Before I whetted your appetite, I checked and used copies are available cheap on Amazon for just over $4.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0007DUXQ6

It sounds like it might be just what you're looking for. Kudos on working with the Scouts, it's a great organization.

Hi All, Just a few comments about the BSA metalworking merit badge. I have boy in my area for about 8 years now.
All of the boys I have taught have been really excited and all that started have finish with great results.
I start out with teaching the safety that is in the handbook also the requirements can be found on the web also. After safety I do a demo on forging a taper on a piece of 1/2" round to about 1/8" then file the end and teach how to harden and temper the end that becomes a center punch.After the demo I let them do the same.After they have completed that we test the center punch and now they have a useful tool to take home. Next we make the easy tongs that Sean Conner demos on anvilfire. It takes care of several requirements becasue of the twist and rivet.Then after those are made they now have themselves a pair of useable tongs to hold there round or square 1/4" x 6" stock and I have them make a s hook tapering both ends to a point and bending over horn and put a twist in the middle. After those things have been done I let them make some that they would like to many choose to make a flint stricker
and I teach them how to make charcloth then they are really ready to go to the next camp out to try out starting fires.I have found that teaching these boys very rewarding to me and I get to know the boys alot better. I was a scout master for about 14years before I starting blacksmithing so I do have a soft spot in my heart for the BSA program. I hope this info will help a little bit but also keep in mind that the option in the book leave it open to alot of diiferent things that can be made.
Thanks,
Gaylan